• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show your orchids!

Hi experts, you have such beautiful orchids!

Yesterday I found out that one of my phals has crown rot, all its leaves fell off :( A moment later I saw this on another, healthy phal. Is this a keiki?? Or just new leaves on a weird spot?

IMG_2559.JPG

Hi all,
Is this a keiki?? Or just new leaves on a weird spot?
Although they are monopodial, they do occasionally branch. You need to let the new stem get quite large (at least three leaves) before you divide it into two.
Yesterday I found out that one of my phals has crown rot, all its leaves fell off
It may grow back from a dormant bud.
The old leaves stayed green (and I nearly binned it a couple of times), but after 3 years it eventually grew a new leaf rosette from further back along the caudex.

phalaenopsis_flower_zpsfe4450b4-jpg.jpg
cheers Darrel

They certainly like moisture and shade.Too bad we cant get phalaenopsis to flower again without air con here in sg.

Stunning. We never have much luck with orchids. Is it true you completely let them dry out then generously water?Maybe incorrect feeding or lack of humidity in our case

Orchids basically need constant decent amounts of humidity but cannot be damped in water for long time. They also need proper ventillation for fungul infections not to occur. Of course not all species are the same and some are more sensitive than others and need specific conditions but in my experience they need misting every day if kept outdoors. Looking how orchid farm operate, the floor/ground under which the orchids are located is always flooded with water to create a high humidity environment for the plants which are hung to the ceilling.

Back