• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 600 “ happy I think..maybe not”

Don’t stop dosing ferts. That is the worst thing you can do.

No problem with nitrates at that level, especially from plant food as it is in inorganic state (nitrate from fish waste and melting plants is the real concern.

Here we have nitrates at 40 out of the tap and still dose full ferts using EI even.

If you are concerned increase the water change percentage. No problem with doing say 80%.

I love that scape and it's got lots of potential for lots of different fish. Just to get you thinking more if it was mine I'd consider a deeper bodied tetra as I think they would look great swimming through those roots. You wouldn't be able to have as big a group as if you went for green neons however. I think black phantoms would look good as would diamond tetras if your patient enough to let them develop. Both would make shrimp harder except amano however.
I'd then consider a pair of dwarf cichlids perhaps something a little less common than apistos, like red breasted acara or Nannacara anomala.

Don’t stop dosing ferts. That is the worst thing you can do.

No problem with nitrates at that level, especially from plant food as it is in inorganic state (nitrate from fish waste and melting plants is the real concern.

Here we have nitrates at 40 out of the tap and still dose full ferts using EI even.

If you are concerned increase the water change percentage. No problem with doing say 80%.
Cheer again Siege, I’m learning everyday from this sight. Levels again have came down tonight to between 5-20/ hard to pin point exact colour from test kit.
And yep , I’ll keep dosing but think I might cut the ferts from 4ml a day to perhaps 2. Reason being I think I’m in between low/mid tech. It’s all about fine adjustments, we’ll seems to be?!?:banghead:

I love that scape and it's got lots of potential for lots of different fish. Just to get you thinking more if it was mine I'd consider a deeper bodied tetra as I think they would look great swimming through those roots. You wouldn't be able to have as big a group as if you went for green neons however. I think black phantoms would look good as would diamond tetras if your patient enough to let them develop. Both would make shrimp harder except amano however.
I'd then consider a pair of dwarf cichlids perhaps something a little less common than apistos, like red breasted acara or Nannacara anomala.
Cheers :)
Yep I’m thinking something different from tetras. But want to stay smallish in size, Bolivian ram looks the front runner at the minute. Nice looking/ not that difficult to keep, and size works for my aquarium.I was also thinking perhaps some cherry shrimp, but I think the rams might be a bit on the large size - for shrimp food..:happy:

Hi all,
I’ll keep dosing but think I might cut the ferts from 4ml a day to perhaps 2. Reason being I think I’m in between low/mid tech.
3ceeda2f-65ec-4da4-8926-254c20fb59be-jpeg.jpg

That isn't a huge amount of plants, and you aren't adding CO2, so I think you probably could add less nutrients. If the OP @oscar has a TDS meter? I'd use that to show whether the TDS is rising or stable. If the TDS is continually creeping up I'd add less nutrients, until you reach a stable value with acceptable plant growth.

A floating plant would be useful, if you don't have too much surface flow.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
3ceeda2f-65ec-4da4-8926-254c20fb59be-jpeg.jpg

That isn't a huge amount of plants, and you aren't adding CO2, so I think you probably could add less nutrients. If the OP @oscar has a TDS meter? I'd use that to show whether the TDS is rising or stable. If the TDS is continually creeping up I'd add less nutrients, until you reach a stable value with acceptable plant growth.

A floating plant would be useful, if you don't have too much surface flow.

cheers Darrel

I have to be honest, I ended up looking up what a TDS meter was :crazy:. I’m going to keep an eye on plants and dose ferts at 50% , nitrate seems to have stabilised around 5/10 parts.
Cheers though and again everyone on here has been most helpful/ advice is greatly appreciated....

Oscar.

Hi Oscar
I will second Darrel about floating plant.They are huge benefit when starting tank to help with balance .I have a rule for myself always floating plant ( even if it is only few) in and always one rampant (fast growing )stem in each tank. This way your life becomes much easier and U dont have to flap about exact nutrient levels and water quality. I dose pretty heavy fertilisers for low tech, have huge bioloads and havent tested anything in years and everything is going well with weekly maintenance .
Regards Konsa

Hi all,
I have to be honest, I ended up looking up what a TDS meter was
<"Conductivity meters"> (all TDS meters really measure conductivity) just measure the amount of dissolved salts (ions) in the water. It doesn't tell you what salts you have, just the total amount.

The advantage of the TDS meter over nearly all other test and meters is that you can dip the meter into the tank and get an accurate reading across the whole range of water types.

Conductivity is a linear scale all the way from RO (about 4 micro S) to sea water (~53,000 micro S).

The actual conductivity value you measure isn't that important, it is just whether <"the value creeps up over time">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,<"Conductivity meters"> (all TDS meters really measure conductivity) just measure the amount of dissolved salts (ions) in the water. It doesn't tell you what salts you have, just the total amount.

The advantage of the TDS meter over nearly all other test and meters is that you can dip the meter into the tank and get an accurate reading across the whole range of water types.

Conductivity is a linear scale all the way from RO (about 4 micro S) to sea water (~53,000 micro S).

The actual conductivity value you measure isn't that important, it is just whether <"the value creeps up over time">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks again for the information Darrell, most valuable :thumbup:

4F5BFE9F-0973-4560-966C-1E72483F6007.jpeg
5FBB0F15-FBA5-47FD-A740-27210C6CD69B.jpeg
Hi guys,
I have added a hydor circulation pump, as per picture. What do you guys think, the fluval 306 was giving me just over x10 of tank volume/ which is recommend. BUT at the front of tank, and over the carpet under lily pipe , there seemed to be a build up of debris.
Have any of you guys had issues with a build up/ not so much circulation directly under inlet lily pipe - have had to do this type of thing ?!?
Only issue is it’s a 1600 pump, which i had in the garage- might have been better with the 900?!?
Can you have to much circulation?!? I did think put it at the back right side , but that is where the plants will grow hopefully to a nice height....

Thoughts as always are welcome:thumbup: I’m not 100% happy with it there but seems to be in the perfect position for what’s needed.

Oscar.

Not surprising that under the lily pip intake was your dead spot. Personally i wouldn't be concerned if plant health is good. Just siphon out at WC time.

However, if you want to have the additional pump i think most people would advise to have it in the back right corner at the top. That way you create a circular flow around the tank. At the moment you have the pump and the lily pipe seemingly facing one another directly.

k

Hi
what about a Eheim surface skimmer instead of the pump, just a thought.

Just thought as I have the pump, give it a try :thumbup: ...On the skimmer I’ve heard some good reviews, I’ll keep it in mind/ only down side of it would be size - for my tank/ scape....

Oscar...

QUOTE="Kezzab, post: 556899, member: 14546"]Not surprising that under the lily pip intake was your dead spot. Personally i wouldn't be concerned if plant health is good. Just siphon out at WC time.

However, if you want to have the additional pump i think most people would advise to have it in the back right corner at the top. That way you create a circular flow around the tank. At the moment you have the pump and the lily pipe seemingly facing one another directly.

k[/QUOTE]

Moved it to where you suggested late last night, seems to be doing a good job ..:thumbup:

Hi Guys,
Over the next few days I will be finally getting some fish for the tank, At the moment I only have x 3 ottos, which seem to be doing fine, had them around 3 weeks
As you see I have a planted tank, there is good flow / maybe more than needed.
So what fish should I get?!?
I’m thinking a couple of Bolivian rams with a small shoal of perhaps neons.
Or rainbow fish/ but perhaps not, as can get on the large side for my size of tank.

Any advice on anything, just a bit different I could get?!?! I do have a couple of good LFS in my area and also a Maidenhead aquatics.....

Oscar .

36069E2E-F2C8-42CB-91C4-4C743C442B60.jpeg
E3A6D518-AF65-4EE3-9EB1-11482226E238.jpeg
I was in pets at home yesterday, and picked up what was described as Rams. There was also Royal rams, both looked to me to be Bolivian..

I have attached a couple of photos, it would be great if someone could nail down exactly what I have purchased....Bolivian?!?

Cheers,

Oscar.

Hi
P@H sell Mikrogeophagus ramirezi
They are a tricky little buggers with weak genes and prone to very short life unfortunately(There are always exception tho I had my longest lived Ram from P@H 1 year and 6 moths real champion when they normaly last only few months) .Not sure where they get theirs from but there a lot of Asian imports that are riddled with internal parasites.
U will have to consider worming them to be on safe side.
Regards Konsa

Hi
P@H sell Mikrogeophagus ramirezi
They are a tricky little buggers with weak genes and prone to very short life unfortunately(There are always exception tho I had my longest lived Ram from P@H 1 year and 6 moths real champion when they normaly last only few months) .Not sure where they get theirs from but there a lot of Asian imports that are riddled with internal parasites.
U will have to consider worming them to be on safe side.
Regards Konsa
Hi Konsa,
That will be why they were £10 for two, I should have known as I was in by dobbies/ Maidenhead aquatics today and they have Bolivian x 2 for £25..

I think I’ll put these in my 50 litre tank, you get what you pay for :thumbup:

Oscar.

CCA2D521-B36E-47D2-82F4-DEDE80857909.jpeg
32C294C5-A59E-4111-87D9-B38550EC8D93.jpeg
A couple more pictures, all plants seem to be doing well at the moment. Keeping up the regime of plant/liquid carb daily / also x 2 water changes per week.
I added some smaller gravel, some broken up elephant skin stone.
Also couldn’t resist getting some buce red, I placed one portion high on juniper wood/ I think it does thrive in light also?!? Twin star lights still only on around 60%......

Let me know what you think, as said previously my first planted tank.....:drowning:

Back