• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI + Mg +Ca

Rodgie

Hello everyone,

On my water change day I dose my Macro dry fertz and also some epsom salt. Now, my EI fertz didn't come with any calcium fertz. I'm thinking of adding 1/8 tsp on my water change day too. Is that okay, will it create any problem getting mixed with the other fertz?

Kind regards,
Rodgie

If in uk chances are your tap water has plenty enough Ca. How hard is your tap water? Check your water companies water report.

Chances are water will be hard(ish) so no need to waste worries about Ca levels.

Good morning lan,

New York tap has 3dGH and 2dKH. Is that enough you think? I'm just thinking plants will use some calcium and I have 3 snails too. What's the parameter of your tap there in UK?

UK tap water is generally hard due to calcium. In States hardness is generally from magnesium, so some calcium may be needed. Easiest is to mix some coral sand or oyster chick grit (pet shop) in either your substrate or a bag in your filter. Also using limestone rocks in tank will harden your water.

If your snails are surviving then there is clearly calcium coming from somewhere, water or substrate.

Thank you lan,

I actually double checked online, NY water is soft, specially there's a lot of businesses here that can't afford to have hard water other wise it can cause damages on machines. Like laundry and dishwashing services would have problem if we have hard water.

I'll look into that natural option. And yes my snails have been doing well. Nerites she'll looks perfect but the mystery Snail isn't that perfect I can see some white patch. I think it's because mystery snails are bigger and they need abundant amount of calcium through food and water. I always have cuttlebone in my filter. So my tank water is always 9dGH. But I believe that's not a perfect indication that calcium is abundant because it can also come from my epsom salt and my tap water.

So I guess it's okay to add the calcium chloride on my water change too together with macros and epsom salt correct?

Hi all,
So my tank water is always 9dGH. But I believe that's not a perfect indication that calcium is abundant because it can also come from my epsom salt and my tap water.
That should be fine.
it's okay to add the calcium chloride on my water change
If you want some more calcium (Ca) that will work.
In States hardness is generally from magnesium, so some calcium may be needed.
The water still has some calcium, it is just it has some magnesium as well, from <"dolomitization">.

In the UK most of the limestone formed in open oceans, rather than a <"closed basin"> and so don't have much magnesium content.

cheers Darrel

Back