• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Zebra otto

Whitey89 said:
Yeah definitely, Exactly the same in body shape and size to my other ottos.

Just got a striking appearance! :)
Hi mate, was over at paddock farm today and saw these again, they are very nice but they had them listed as growing to 10cm so prob get a fair bit bigger than standard issue ottos if they are correct.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hey mate,
Few quotes from APC.

davemonkey

Re: Zebra Oto Cats
The zebra otos are pretty much the same as far as size, care, tank conditions and feeding habits.

As Dave says, fairly much the same. Usually once you've gotten things narrowed down to a genus, you'll find the individual species tend to all do decently in the same sort of conditions. Spawning and social interactions may vary, but the vitals shouldn't stray too far.

Definitely don't confuse genus for family though; Loricariidae include both the algae sucking otocinclus and the meat scavenging hypancistrus genii.

-Philosophos

There's some other ones now, they are called Giant Otos or Pitbull Otos. I don't know why the "Giant" but I heard it can get up to 3 inches with proper care from the owner. They are slightly cheaper than the zebras though. I'll wait for 2-3 weeks and then think about buying the survivors since they are as likely to die as normal otos from transportation.

Tex Gal

Plant Points:
I have one of these giant ottos. I see him every now and then. He's about 1.5" I've had him over a year. He doesn't seem to hang out with the others. I had originally gotten 3 of them but he was the only one that survived. I guess they have the same survival issues as the smaller ones.....

So looks to be ok, to be honest I didn't see any sign otherwise I wouldn't have got them. Mine are definitely cleaning up glass.

So hopefully be alright, all I can think is they mixed them up with giant ottos Ady?

Theres a link here

Cheers,

Whitey89 said:
Ady you sure it didnt say 4cm rather than 4" :D
:lol: 10cm i read
....but its obviously wrong looking at all the inforamtion available as 1.4" seems the concensus. I could have misread of course or been looking at 2 tags and mixing them up :rolleyes:
Anyway they are great looking LITTLE ;) fish, just a shame for me they like it a bit warmer than my non heated nano as they would have been ideal with the shrimp.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Whitey89 said:
somethingfishy said:
was told by my lfs they could get them in for £7 a fish ... im very tempted they do look great.

Hey Iain,
Yeah Thats about what I paid today. Well happy with them :D

Blimey, I can buy them for £3.50 each. But then the same guy only charges £1.50 for CPDs :thumbup:

Otto72 said:
Whitey89 can you post some more pics of this lovely fish also where did you buy him?

Hey mate,
Yeah will grab a couple more this afternoon sometime! Got them from Paddock Farm as that is my 'local'.

As promised Otto, as I can see your an avid fan;

027a26e7-9823-4005.jpg

:D

Whitey89 said:
Thats great value! Either that or Im getting ripped off haha :lol:

I dont think you are being ripped off Nat.. thats the normal price from what I can tell. Just the guy I go to is a soft touch lol.

ghostsword said:
Care to share where you buy them at £3.50?

Its a personal deal the guy would give me and he is near where I live. By the time you drove down here the petrol would cost you more than buying local Luis :?

ghostsword said:
I paid for mine £15.. so anything cheaper than that is good.. :)

Jaysus thats a bit steep :woot: I think £7 is pretty much the norm. Having said that, one of my local aquatic retailers consistently charges twice what everyone else does for Sidthumunki's, claiming that as theirs are dutch bred rather than from Singapore, they are much nicer and do not fade. Having seen the ones in their display tank I tend to accept the claim too. Why is it that all the REALLY nice fish are more expensive, lol.

Okay, having took down my ADA Mini M, I moved all the fish from there into my current scape 'Ryuoh Ravine'.

On putting the Ottos ( 2 Zebras & 4 Standard) into the aquarium, within 30 minutes the Zebras were ferociously knacking in the Diatom algae! Zipping round much more intently.

Definitely much better at cleaning up than my standard ones, Im watching the zebra leave a sparkling trail down a crypt Leaf and straight all the way down the Aponogeton, then flying onto the glass. All great to watch!

:D

Is that the Mini M you are sending down to me for a tenner ? :lol:

Back