• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Your my last hope people!

Hi all I’m new to the group….I am literally close to shutting tank down I have had enough. I’ve had fish for 10 years plus but never been able to keep plants. Thought I’d give it a try.
I have a 240 litre established, excuse it at the moment I’ve stripped it down ready for bigger tank just 350 coming. To get going I’ve been trying everything for about 8 months and it’s so stressful nothing is growing well at all and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
1. I’ve bought a Fluval plant 3. I’ve attached settings to this thread.
2. I’ve bought a full co2 setup… running roughly 2 drops per second it comes on hour before lights come on and turns of hour before they go out.
3. I’m dozing with profito and easy carbo what’s recommended dose.
4. Temp at 26 deg.
5.water perimeters are good.

Spent a fortune. Read countless times blind posts watched countless videos and I just can’t do it 😭😭 please help.
I’ve just started growing algae on tank glass now.
Any advice gratefully appreciated

Ok, I am a bit short on this response... most bases were already touched, but let me add that this is really a Cichlid tank not a planted tank - there are hardly any plants in this tank and the plants you have certainly do not require CO2... (?) The fish I see are Red Devils (Amphilophus labiatus) as far as I can tell - one of my favorites back in the day - they are super fun fish to keep but also incredibly messy and rambunctious.... Keeping plants with these guys will be a challenge - never worked for me... Again, as @John q asked I wonder what you're trying to accomplish here?

Cheers,
Michael

"There are few fish that show less regard for a beautifully decorated tank than this species. Don’t even consider a planted setup, as large quantities of the substrate will be shifted around on a daily basis. Rocks, driftwood and large flowerpots are all suitable provided they’re too heavy for the fish to move about, although it will undoubtedly try to do so anyway. You could try anchoring plastic plants down with rocks, but don’t expect them to stay that way for long."

if you are upgrading your tank maybe you can keep a planted tank with small(er) fish in the current one (fish less able to shift around 'large flowerpots'!!), and an unplanted one with your chichlids in your new tank?

As others have said these fish won't be compatible with a planted tank. Additionally the temperature of 26 will make the experience way harder than it needs to be.

Back