• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

You just got to laugh

strat100

Bought three drop checkers from aquarium hk for a total with postage for£6.99,just got a letter from tnt today declaring i owe them £24.32 for import duties :crazy:.looking at a copy of the invoice that came with the bill,aquarium hk has put the value as $65 wtf!!!.tnt are saying you owe us and i got 7 days to pay or else when i phoned them. WTF.Not a happy bunny.

It Happens sometimes, If the seller does not put "toy" or "gift" on the customs label (to reflect the value).

strat100 said:
Bought three drop checkers from aquarium hk for a total with postage for£6.99,just got a letter from tnt today declaring i owe them £24.32 for import duties :crazy:.looking at a copy of the invoice that came with the bill,aquarium hk has put the value as $65 blimey!!!.tnt are saying you owe us and i got 7 days to pay or else when i phoned them. blimey.Not a happy bunny.

Oh no - that must be annoying. This exact experience puts me off making foreign purchases. Perhaps in future it's worth clarifying if the Seller will follow Gills advise so in the event of something like this happening you have some backup for a claim

Let us know how you get on with the Seller (I'm assuming here that you wont be paying the £24) although I'm guessing This paricular courier firm are going to say you're liable to pay for the handling they've already carried out?

Keep us posted as there could be a lesson learnt here which you could share with the members + you can have a rant and let off steam at the same time :( :(

I doubt they can hold you liable as that would mean I could go on holiday and send you a brick in a box marked £2000 and you'd have to pay handling on that! Lol

Good point Johno :) would be nice though to gain insight into how this type of thing plays out contractually. If strat100 does'nt pay, does the courier firm just bin it?

I had a Similair experience once a few years ago.
Somewhere in the small print of most couriers IIRC they return the package if not collected.
I refused to pay for the Unpaid Duty on the parcel. It sat at the couriers for 30 days and I never heard from the Courier again.
Do not know what happened to the parcel.

Back