• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yet another 'which substrate?' thread

Henry Howes

Seedling
So, I've been reading about various different types of substrate recently to try and work out which will be best for my tank.

The tank is currently up and running with roughly 15 various fish with a 5-7cm layer of gravel

it is a 180 litre Juwel Rio
2 X 45W HO T5's
Two 1100lph external filters
Custom FE CO2 injection
EI nutrient feeding

At the moment, the tank is running with just the filters and heater, all the plants have been removed.

I understand that to grow most plants I can get away with just the EI nutrients, but I like the idea of having some sort of buffering system for if I have to go away for a couple of days (I believe this is the CEC rating?). I have, for example a couple of L number plecos (6" max size) and they mostly like to sit on the wood. But I am away these may like to dig in any finer substrates so maybe something topped with gravel could work. Something like Tropica aqua care?

Obviously with the fish, I realise they will have to be removed in order to replace the substrate and the tank water drained. I'd quite like to avoid substrates that have a large ammonia spike, and to keep fish stress to a minimum during the changeover process.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

Back