• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yellowing anubias

kschyff

Hi
I have recently moved to Scotland and am using tap water which is is relatively soft (TDS of about 60). I have used JBL ferropol in the water column and there is no nitrate or ammonium in the tank water. Its also not a CO2 injected tank and I notice that the is excessive curling and yellowing of even slow growing plants. The fast growing plants like stargrass have almost white leaves with dark veins. I have subsequently placed a lot of JBL root tabs in the aquasoil.

Any ideas what this could be? The GH is about 8 and the KH about 4.

I have attached some pictures of the plants which are just floating for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 70
@kschyff Ferropol contains no nitrates or phosphates, it's quite useful for initial growth of young plantlets as it's K/Fe/micro mainly but you must additionally supply N and P (and probably Mg/Ca, depending on what's in you water - do you have water report maybe?). I can guess you have heavy N and probably Mg deficiency by the look of the leaves. I think that H. Zosterifolia is a Phosphate lover so lack or low level of P may contribute as well.

Thank you @Witcher I tried to see on the bottle but for some reason I must have missed that. Makes total sense. Would the JBL ProScape not have enough phosphates for the rooted plants if the scape is still new?

Thank you @Witcher I tried to see on the bottle but for some reason I must have missed that. Makes total sense. Would the JBL ProScape not have enough phosphates for the rooted plants if the scape is still new?
frankly speaking I'm not sure - JBL advertises Proscape as a solution containing all necessary nutrients but I think they may be not necessarily available for plants. Probably the best solution for you would be feeding additionally with N, P and possibly Mg through water column. Cheapest option would be buying dry salts and mix them with RO/distilled water, you could find out about proportions etc. using <<IFC fert calculator>>.

Back