• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wrong fish?

Julii

Hi all, some of you may have seen my other thread about two Julii Corydoras I had that passed away and a third one that was poorly. I did a course of meditation for the tank and the poorly one has survived and is thriving. So I've left it a week or so and decided as I only had 6 Corydoras and now there are 4 I need to get two more to replace the ones that died.

So I went to Maidenhead aquatics yesterday and bought two Julii, I didn't pay much attention to them until I got home and realised one of them looks nothing like my Julii. After doing a bit of googling I think it is a C102 Leopard Cory

Will it be okay on its own with 5 Julii for company? They are in a 56L tank with 7 Cardinal Tetra so I don't want to overpopulate the tank by having to get more!

Attachments

• PXL_20241011_183341337.jpg
    PXL_20241011_183341337.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
I forgot to say it is happily shoaling with the others and almost seems to be leading the group!

I forgot to say it is happily shoaling with the others and almost seems to be leading the group!
Result. Yup, thats the same as my experience. They are happy to accept each other, and the closer alike they look the closer the acceptance. Of course, once feeling settled and comfortable Corys generally just spread themselves out in a loose coalition in the same rough area, rather than an actual shoal.

I think it is a C102 Leopard Cory
Looks like it.

Nice to get a rare cory (Brochis) by mistake.

I agree and disagree with others saying that corys will shoal together. While there are species that mimic others and are found together in the wild, we also keep species that would never meet in the wild and have quite different requirements.

I have 12 gold lasers and 6 duplicareus together but they're rarely together. Instead they stick to their separate species groups.
I don't have any experience with C102 but the saddle snouted corys (now Brochis) dig deeper in the substrate that hoplisoma julii. That said your substrate looks fine for both species.

The following isn't intended to be confrontational or argumentative but you know......internet.
"They are happy to accept each other, and the closer alike they look the closer the acceptance".
Curious how this could be the case. How do they know what they look like?

Last edited:
I agree and disagree with others saying that corys will shoal together. While there are species that mimic others and are found together in the wild, we also keep species that would never meet in the wild and have quite different requirements.

I have 12 gold lasers and 6 duplicareus together but they're rarely together. Instead they stick to their separate species groups.
I don't have any experience with C102 but the saddle snouted corys (now Brochis) dig deeper in the substrate that hoplisoma julii. That said your substrate looks fine for both species.

The following isn't intended to be confrontational or argumentative but you know......internet.
"They are happy to accept each other, and the closer alike they look the closer the acceptance".
Curious how this could be the case. How do they know what they look like?

Obviously it is actually a little confrontational as you are suggesting I have read this statement and parroted it out. Your example actually almsot backs up my suggestion as gold lasers are, to my eye, really quite a different colour and pattern to duplicareus.

I must have kept at least 10 different species of Cory over the years, often with different species together and that is simply my experience. I guess its possible that the larger the shoal of each species in a tank/environment, the greater the chance of them sticking to their own sort. In the past I have sadly kept fewer Corys together than I should and maybe their need was greater for a decent shoal of any sort, in the absence of enough of their own species to make much of a group on its own.

It has always amazed me how accurate a fish's sense of what it looks like and its size are. They always seem to know when another fish is bigger than themselves. How ? Also, how do they know who to breed with ? I have little evidence to quote you but suspect that this is done largely by sight for many species.
Also, with territorial species (eg cichlids etc) it is so clear that they are waaaaaay more likely to display territorial behaviour to other fish who have the same shape/colour as them.

Thus I am convinced most fish have a strong identity of their own size, colour and shape. How ? Well thats another question entirely. More and more evidence is coming out in the scientific world about how fish actually do have some intelligence (something any experienced aquarist already knows) so maybe they are smarter than even we give them credit for ?

It has always amazed me how accurate a fish's sense of what it looks like and its size are. They always seem to know when another fish is bigger than themselves. How ? Also, how do they know who to breed with ? I have little evidence to quote you but suspect that this is done largely by sight for many species.
Also, with territorial species (eg cichlids etc) it is so clear that they are waaaaaay more likely to display territorial behaviour to other fish who have the same shape/colour as them.

Thus I am convinced most fish have a strong identity of their own size, colour and shape. How ? Well thats another question entirely. More and more evidence is coming out in the scientific world about how fish actually do have some intelligence (something any experienced aquarist already knows) so maybe they are smarter than even we give them credit for ?
An interesting perspective is that of Rupert Sheldrake's Morphic Resonance. Video here
Broadly, the more similar species, sub species and variants are, and the longer they've co-habited in an environment, the more they're capable of resonance and mutuality on the one hand, and threat identification on the other. Doesn't mean they'll interbreed, or even go through the motions of breeding behaviour (though some do), but on another level they're similar enough to co-exist and I suspect a significant proportion of the stress (a sense of 'wrongness' or dissonance) that would be induced by isolation in a prey species, is at least moderated.

Shoaling and schooling fish species are in this sense quite similar to other prey species, at least behaviourally. They'll search out their own specific sub-species for maximum reassurance and to breed, (perhaps we mgiht call it a sense of 'rightness' or harmony,) but - for example - zoologists have discovered fertile hybrids between plains and Grevy's zebra in the wild, so there are exceptions to the rule.

There are lots of herbivores that graze together: various gazelles, zebra, wildebeest etc. They couldn't look more different, but are often found together, except under certain circumstances, such as breeding, migration etc. When one of these species is alerted to the presence of a hunting predator its alarm signals are perceived by other species, because they're similar enough to be on the same menu even if they're visually as different as giraffes and gazelle.

Personally in my current aquarium I have Corydoras Julii, Trilineatus and Schwarzii, (which all look pretty similar, unless you're a Corydoras nut) and also Corydoras Panda. The first three species generally hang out together, while the Pandas stick together. However were I to try (and inevitably fail a few times) to net a Panda this 'alarm' seems to trigger pretty immediate evasive behaviour from all the other corydoras. Meanwhile the guppies chase the net or my hands about the tank generally getting in the way. Is that because they've never co-habited with corydoras? Because it's been decades and thousands of generations that guppies have been captive bred? Maybe they're just thick? 😉

Hi all, some of you may have seen my other thread about two Julii Corydoras I had that passed away and a third one that was poorly. I did a course of meditation for the tank and the poorly one has survived and is thriving. So I've left it a week or so and decided as I only had 6 Corydoras and now there are 4 I need to get two more to replace the ones that died.

So I went to Maidenhead aquatics yesterday and bought two Julii, I didn't pay much attention to them until I got home and realised one of them looks nothing like my Julii. After doing a bit of googling I think it is a C102 Leopard Cory

Will it be okay on its own with 5 Julii for company? They are in a 56L tank with 7 Cardinal Tetra so I don't want to overpopulate the tank by having to get more!
Just to throw a spanner in the works, your Julii are also probably Trillineatus. Julii are actually quite a rare fish and most fish sold are actually Trillineatus instead. Still a nice fish!

Obviously it is actually a little confrontational as you are suggesting I have read this statement and parroted it out.
Sorry that wasn't my intention. The thought that you'd "parroted it out" wasn't something that had occured to me. I was actually interested in your source of that information.
When I worked in a shop I had some researchers buy damsel fish to research if their facial markings were used for communication. I just find animal behavioural science interesting.

For what it's worth my thoughts are that many of these species have evolved to fill similar niches but in different locations. So while they'd not meet in the wild, similar evolutionary pressures have caused them to evolve similar physical/behavioural characteristics. When added together they may act in a similar way as if they were all the same species but that is just a result of their evolution.

Sorry that wasn't my intention. The thought that you'd "parroted it out" wasn't something that had occured to me. I was actually interested in your source of that information.
When I worked in a shop I had some researchers buy damsel fish to research if their facial markings were used for communication. I just find animal behavioural science interesting.

For what it's worth my thoughts are that many of these species have evolved to fill similar niches but in different locations. So while they'd not meet in the wild, similar evolutionary pressures have caused them to evolve similar physical/behavioural characteristics. When added together they may act in a similar way as if they were all the same species but that is just a result of their evolution.
No problem, lets put it behind us. I was merely speaking from my own experience and observation.
BTW, your theories on the evolution to fill similar niches in different places, thus acting in similar ways sounds like it has a lot of common sense to it.

To answer @Julii original post: They will be OK. 😉

Back