• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worried about gassing fish.

MikeG747

Hi,

I have recently just setup a new open top planted tank of dimensions 70 x 70 x 45 (l x w x d all in cm) and have injected CO2 running on a solonoid timer. My concern is whether I am likely to gas my fish when I add them into the tank. I have a drop checker that is showing as almost permanently lime green. I have no air pump running and am hoping that the gentle circular motion of the surface water is sufficient to allow for enough oxygen to diffuse into the water.

Thanks

Mike

If you are relying on oxygen diffusing from the air, something is wrong. By injecting CO2, your plants will supply more oxygen than you'll ever get with diffusion. As long as your DC isn't yellow and your plants are doing good (produce loads of oxygen) your fine. Just make sure you slowly acclimate the fish by either putting them in when CO2 is low (morning) or drip acclimate them.

Ok, I was worried that between the plants photosynthesizing and the surface diffusion that I may be oxygen deficient, when I do put the fish in there then I shall watch them closely for a few hours to check that they are not struggling, if they do then I will chuck in an airstone to oxygenate the water.
I currently have a band of 20 or so Cherry shrimp in there and they are doing fine.

I am having similar drop checker issues o this thread as well:
ph readings, dropchecker always green and aquasoil... any relationship? | UK Aquatic Plant Society

My drop checker seems to be permanently lime green/yellow even at night when no CO2 has been running, never experienced this before but then I have never used ADA aquasoil before,

Shrimps are more CO2 sensitive than most fish. So don't worry!

About the dropchecker, you didn't fill it with tank water did you? If not, it is totally independent from the substrate or whatever. Maybe the reagent is bad, but it can't be due to the soil.

My dropchecker is also almost the same color in one of my tanks, if I aerate it at night it does change. Or take it out of your tank for a few hours to check it;)

Shrimps are more CO2 sensitive than most fish. So don't worry!

About the dropchecker, you didn't fill it with tank water did you? If not, it is totally independent from the substrate or whatever. Maybe the reagent is bad, but it can't be due to the soil.

Nope, I used a pre-mixed drop-checker solution from Flo, it was blue when it first went into the tank and stayed that way for a few hours, since then it has been lime green/yellow.

I shall now put my feet up and stop worrying then. In my old 4 foot tank I struggled to get the drop checker to even go green, I had all sorts of circulation issues due to the size and shape of the tank. The new smaller tank is proving much easier so far on all fronts!

Back