• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windows 10, anyone else having issues?

Tested it, uses less than 10gig of HDD space. Has you can see from image below, I created a 32Gb drive for the install to simulate your scenario ;)

Win10ProLite.PNG

How's this work then LD, do I need to download a different version and will I lose any features?

How's this work then LD, do I need to download a different version and will I lose any features?
I can make it available to you if you want to give it a try:

Removed List:
DVD Folder:Sources files and others Removes For more space
Microsoft Apps:All is Removed Completed < Except Store ...
Microsoft Services Apps:All Removes/Disable Completed
Microsoft languages packs:All langs removed Except English
Services : The most Disable permanently cauze is combo with apps
Services Mode: The Best Perfomance
Microsoft Edge/IE11 : Both Removed permanently

More Details About This:

Diffrence bewteen win 10 pro and Win 10 Lite edition
Lite Edition Is faster
Lite Edition Better Perfomance
Lite Edition Better Boot Time
Lite Edition Smaller Size ISO
Lite Edition Fast Installation
Lite Edition No More Telemetry
Lite Edition Its Close too LTSB

Yeah, if you could please LD, just PM any links if you want. Still not sure what happens regarding keys and the pre-installed version. Went to download the creators iso tonight and I get an out of space error even though I'm saving it the sd card, I assume that's because it's saving to a temp file on the c drive before copying across to the card.

Probably my own fault for buying hardware with such small drive, wrongly assumed that if windows were making an OS designed to be run on phones and tablets that this wouldn't be an issue but there you go, that's what you get with MS. :D Even had to change settings in the browser to a different user agent so it thought I wasn't using a windows computer, doesn't let you download the windows iso if you have a windows computer :banghead: I think they really need to stabilise their platform before adding any more bells and whistles.

Really bad experience so far, maybe got into it too early. I have full OS's, fully functioning and running on 2gig memory sticks and generally a new os install takes me about three quarters of a hour. Into what, my third week? and still no further forward which all started because windows pushed me an update to a windows computer with barely nothing else on and now I'm at the point of wiping it! Ridiculous really, I now know why people pay top dollar for apple stuff :D

Maybe I've been spoiled over the years, My family have apple products, android phones, and I personally use various flavours of Linux and I have never had to wrestle with any of them to install an update, it just happened as a matter of course. Ironically other than my work desktop none of them have as much disk space as this netbook.

I would always say for a Windows machine with Office go no lower than a 64Gb HDD as the C: drive. I will PM you with some more info!

The windows on phones is different from the windows on a computer, in the same manner that iOS and MacOS are not the same.

I would always say for a Windows machine with Office go no lower than a 64Gb HDD as the C: drive. I will PM you with some more info!

Yeah, should have done my research I guess. I don't mind trying different os versions as long as I can still restore the machine to its original state. Seems there are ways of doing things using extra storage but none of them are very user friendly for the average user. There are quite a lot of 32gig machines running about in the wild, the original surface pro was also 32gig and I'm guessing with M$ policy of forcing you to have the updates they will be getting some flak over it. I think on Pro versions you can delay it but not indefinitely so at some point quite a lot of machines are going to end up stuck in a loop of not being able to install the os but being made to.

Yeah I have a recovery partition mate. My worry being that fresh install could in some way over write the recovery space of the disc OR that because of the recovery section installing the Creators update still doesn't have enough space, maybe not though. When I've been searching for answers I find a lot of people who went down the route of fresh installs found that their windows activation key wasn't activated on pre-installed versions. The work around for this was to just let the update process carry on as usual and let it install/activate/then fresh install. It would appear MS would much prefer you to use their updater than fresh install yourself but obviously that just puts me back in the loop.

Before trying the lite version I was considering resetting the machine to factory state and seeing if having the recommended 8gig space would then allow me to use the USB stick as extra storage for carrying out the update. Maybe it won't because the destination drive has less than 8gig. My understanding is that if you have 8gig space the update process will move files back and forth from the stick to carry out the update process.

Option 2 would be create a bootable usb creators edition stick and go for fresh install and hope there's enough room to complete then shave it down after install but searching suggests you need 25gig for this so depending on how much space is reserved for recovery partition which I don't want to over write that may not be an option.

Option 3 Wipe and install with window 10 lite. My thinking on this though is the creators update has some extra features, could be beneficial maybe not, so in the end I will be losing some features using this way. Considering as it stands I have a perfectly functioning system it seems a step back losing features. I can't see why other than obviously security risks and compatibility that MS can't leave me with what I have now but I assume at some point they are going to force me to update?

Generally on my Linux systems with limited space I would partition the disk with 10gig space for OS /root and leave the rest as /home containing all my personal folders and app settings. When they bring out a new OS its just a case of creating a bootable stick with OS on and installing it to /root. Go for a shower, come back and hey presto new OS with everything still in tact so you can imagine why this is such a headache to me :D

You'll have to bare with me, windows and I parted company after XP so I'm now having to learn things all over again, some things are familiar and some not so. Downloading creators update to my linux machine now ready for creating a bootable stick so i can try all three options and see which one works best for me.

Been using this as a suggestion, however in my case I'm not being offered the use USB stick as an option but again that maybe because I need to clear more space on the destination drive first.

I'll look into that, it's an SSD drive though in a tablet, I'm guessing that's going to be no easy task. Going to set up a virtual machine now and install the creators edition to it to see what the final size on disc is out of curiosity. Do you know what happens with my activation key if I wipe the recovery partition, will it still work on other versions?

Do you know what happens with my activation key if I wipe the recovery partition, will it still work on other versions?
According to Microsoft if you do not change any hardware on the machine it should activate itself after install, but I have had two devices become un-activated, so hard to tell to be honest.

According to Microsoft if you do not change any hardware on the machine it should activate itself after install, but I have had two devices become un-activated, so hard to tell to be honest.

That seems to be the general census of opinion, sometimes works sometime not. Trying the VM is a non runner, just realised I can only run 32bit versions on my VM and no options in bios to change this on my desktop and I've downloaded the 64bit version. Can't really download again at work because it's metered and can't download at home because I don't have the HD space, happy days :banghead: :D

Time to get back on with my life I think, I thought computers were designed to make your life easier not add an extra layer of complication you can well do without.

Time to get back on with my life I think, I thought computers were designed to make your life easier not add an extra layer of complication you can well do without.
Bring it over I will take care of it while you plant my tank LOL

Haha Love to mate. Planting tanks is enjoyable, this is more akin to nailing my own scrotum to the desk :eek:

but surely less messy :eek:

But why not just return the device as "defective" - certainly sounds to be the case!

(just can't let go of the challenge can ya ;))

Yeah I have a recovery partition mate. My worry being that fresh install could in some way over write the recovery space of the disc OR that because of the recovery section installing the Creators update still doesn't have enough space, maybe not though.
Have you tried macrium reflect free to backup your drive? this software will allow you to backup all your drives including the recovery drive to an external HDD.
I have used it a few times whilst testing out different versions of windows 10.
On my main laptop i did away with my recovery drive and installed Windows 10 from a dvd copy, this also removes any hidden nasties that PC manufacturers install! Then i did a recovery image using Macrium so if i had to do a clean install i had a backup plan!

(just can't let go of the challenge can ya ;))

Haha, yeah I get a bit OCD with these things. I am quite computer literate and don't mind messing but this really is like :banghead: It's as if dark forces are at work. As one door opens another one just seems to slam in your face. Can't really take the thing back because I've had it a while and to be fair there's nothing wrong with the device other than it shouldn't really have Windows 10 on it. I don't use it that much other than one piece of software I need for work and the occasional browsing. No doubt I will do the same as all my other devices and just get sick of spending more time keeping it running than using it and throw some flavour of Linux on it. Not sure how Ubuntu works on a touch screen so it would be a first for me.

The Creators update seems to be quite new so I suppose somebody else with the same problem as me will probably find an answer but on this occasion, you won't often hear me say this but this has me beat :D I built a PC about 15 years ago back in the days when I was gaming and bought the latest greatest GCard at the time which was a weeks wages for me so a big investment, I don't think I had it 18months and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Came out and there were compatibility issues with my card and the game so that was the end of PC gaming for me and I went down the Playstation fatboy route. That computer had the latest Ubuntu software on and even with an old xp athlon cpu in with no sse2 which I managed to keep spoofing into thinking it had to keep software running and 3gig of ram that machine finally called it quits in February this year. I've had this thing maybe 10 months and already software has killed the hardware. You live and you learn.

Last edited:
Back