• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will making a vivarium out of a 1l glass bottle work?

Will making a vivarium out of a 1l glass bottle work?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
I don't know about that small, but I've seen some around 5l be done. If you do, get some pics. That would be neat to see.

Sent from my Huawei-U8687 using Tapatalk

I think it will work just fine. You just have to find the right small plants. But just to clarify your not putting animals in it right?

Okay nice! No no animals, don't think they would be too happy in it ;)

A single celled organism that is our best friend AND worst enemy in the fishkeeping world?

Sent from my Huawei-U8687 using Tapatalk

I would put a handful of isopods in it. that way you won't have mold. Just keep humidity descent. Every couple of days or once a week just put a tiny bit of flake food Some were to keep them going. Or since it is small crush up some dried leaves and put them in a corner and they will eat them. It's a slight pain but you will have no mold issues. They aren't necessary. But it makes the whole thing a little more forgiving. Until you get the environment just right.

Just my two cents

33cl beer glass already 6 months old.. It holds 2 kinds of rotala's, HC, UG Java fern, Lilaepsis Brasiliensis and different mosses.
Keep the lid on and only air it once a week or 2 weeks, be very sparse with macro's and plants stay rather miniature.. As you see in the pics they didn't grow that much..
Suffocated a little bit and not to much light, they stay healthy and realy small. Hard to explain, it's seeing, feeling and taking the correct actions at the right time to make it work. :)
DSCF6518 (Kopie).JPG DSCF6518 (Kopie).JPG DSCF6520 (Kopie).JPG

But if you plan to use a puddle of stagnant water at the bottom in vivarium style, it will not work, can't keep it clean and or algae out.. I tried it once with the help of Daphnia. But it's just to small to keep clean. Even tried it with a glass bowl containing 5 liters of water and keeping viviparus snails in it, it's hard to keep stagnant water clean and healthy for long term. :)

Attachments

• DSCF6519 (Kopie).JPG
    DSCF6519 (Kopie).JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 100
Back