• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why is ordering in the uk such a pain?!

strat100

Is it just me or dont some companies care at all about prompt delivery.just for instance
1,ordered parts for my 1260 on 10 march,still awaiting delivery.
2.ordered some alfagoma tubing 15 march,still awaiting delivery.
3,ordered an uptake tube for 2260 15 march,still awaiting delivery.

Just to put it into context ordered a ph probe and lily pipe from singapore on 15 march, received on 23 march.

I have tried repeated emails to the companies and only received 1 back saying they shall look into it,and that was 5 days ago!!!!
:mad: :thumbdown:

I'd be tempted to look elsewhere and cancel your orders (don't buy from elsewhere until you cancel them though!) If they haven't shipped your items then they should not have charged you yet.

Already ordered replacements elsewhere,and going through resolution centre of paypal for all three.Funny that they all took payment straight away!!!!

Just got an email from 1 of them,stating that they have cancelled the order,but havnt refunded my money.grrrrrr.
does put you off ordering from uk.maybe i should name and shame these ********,because people on here could get the same treatment.

Im cautious enough using sites online and things like this just make it even worse! I hope you got it sorted!

Can I ask what made you choose the site you used to order from?
I never order until I've been on the phone to them first. Don't lose the human touch guys, it's important!
Some companies put all their suppliers products onto their website to appear as if they're a massive company with thousands of products. Often these companies hold a small amount of product and order when you order, or worse still, tag your order onto their monthly order from supplier when that period comes around. Frustrating!

Rather than name and shame, find the companies that have good service and shout it from the rooftops. Ordering from abroad or eBay should be the last resort, because we all need to support the shops that deserve our custom no matter where or how few they are. They need to survive and grow because we need them as much as they need us.

Cheers

i guess it's a similar thing, but why has no one twigged to importing a container load of the cheap far east gear we all use and have to buy through ebay? I would gladly pay a bit of a premium to be able to order from a uk based shop ... Oh for the venture capital! Matt

I think what is happening is the shops etc are not getting the stock in as they use to and waiting for an order before they order it themselves,we no its hard these days to make a living and having loads of stock doesnt make financial sense,.but the drawback is the customer is left waiting for his stuff for a couple of weeks or so.
I ordered not from a price point but from well known traders thinking they would have stock etc,but lack of customer support etc leaves the customer not knowing when he is going to get his stuff.
Funny that all the traders that i ordered from only gave me a refund or delivered the goods when i got paypal on the case,and not 1 of them bothered emailing me at any time during the 3 weeks plus i was waiting. :twisted:
then it takes another couple of weeks to get your stuff from another trader.

Gfish said:
Can I ask what made you choose the site you used to order from?
I never order until I've been on the phone to them first. Don't lose the human touch guys, it's important!
Some companies put all their suppliers products onto their website to appear as if they're a massive company with thousands of products. Often these companies hold a small amount of product and order when you order, or worse still, tag your order onto their monthly order from supplier when that period comes around. Frustrating!

Rather than name and shame, find the companies that have good service and shout it from the rooftops. Ordering from abroad or eBay should be the last resort, because we all need to support the shops that deserve our custom no matter where or how few they are. They need to survive and grow because we need them as much as they need us.

Cheers

Very well said.

bigmatt said:
i guess it's a similar thing, but why has no one twigged to importing a container load of the cheap far east gear we all use and have to buy through ebay? I would gladly pay a bit of a premium to be able to order from a uk based shop ... Oh for the venture capital! Matt

Living waters have a few of these bits in. Little lights, hang on back filters, etc. I took in my nano luminaires (as use din my vivarium nano) to show them and I think they are going to source those too.

Why buy on eBay be for last resort? Do you know that even TGM sells on eBay?

The beauty of eBay is that paying with paypal offers a protection that it is much better than if you buy over the phone. If the item arrives broken or in a bad state you can request the money back, if the item is not sent or does not arrive you can request he money back.

And the best of it? If the shop is bad you can leave negative feedback, which will not only alert other potential buyers but enough bad reviews and eBay may close your shop.

About buying from forums? Safe if you use paypal properly, ie not a gift. See what happened to some people here that lost some money on a clear out.

The way to get good service is to vote with your wallet, support the ones that offer good service such as aquajardin, TGM, aquaessentials and some others, and avoid the crappy ones. They may look cheaper now but can you really put a price on the time wasted, time being the only thing on the world that you cannot buy? :)

Retailers like TGM, if they're using eBay it's out of desperate attempt to grow and to survive, the 'if you can't beat them join them' attitude. I guarantee they hate having to do it, and would rather see an end to eBay full stop.

Gfish said:
Retailers like TGM, if they're using eBay it's out of desperate attempt to grow and to survive, the 'if you can't beat them join them' attitude. I guarantee they hate having to do it, and would rather see an end to eBay full stop.

I must be missing something. What is so bad about eBay? Why wouldn't the retailers use it?

I think that for the buyers ebay is really good, instant comparison of prices and a quick look weeds out the bad shops.

I buy most of my stuff from either eBay or from the forums, although eBay is still cheaper and safer.

There are few physical shops that I can buy stuff from, such as ADC in London, Living Waters in Croydon an TGM.

But hey, I can be wrong about eBay and would like to be corrected if that is the case.

Back