• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why don't we use UV lighting on our tanks? does anybody use UV lighting on their tanks?

louis_last

I don't mean UV sterilisers integrated into filtration. It seems like a lot of the fish we tend to keep would be exposed to fair amounts of UV light in the wild and I just noticed on a pack of hikari food that it specifically mentions supplementation designed to "support colour retention in UV deficient environments".
I keep some reptiles that can be kept and even bred without UV lighting but providing it still seems to make a big difference to their overall health and wellbeing as well as colour.
Could it be that uv bulbs would be of some benefit for some fish? I've never seen this discussed before. Couldn't it also be a factor in why sometimes algae doesn't seem to thrive in natural water bodies where it seems like it should?

Hi all,
Could it be that uv bulbs would be of some benefit for some fish?
I've kept fish that are definitely more colorful and active in tanks that <"get some natural daylight">.

If you have daylight fluorescent tubes (6500 K and higher) I think they have some UV component? I don't think the same is true of daylight LEDS, but you need @oreo57 for a proper answer.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
There are some lights that provide UV. Week Aqua does on at least some of their lights.

But tell me more about UV being good for animals. I know it's not good for humans and spend a lot of effort to minimize my exposure (except not going outside - I gotta get my outside time, skin cancer and the rest be damned), so I would be very reluctant to add more to my environment.

I do know that some plants won't color up without UV, but I'm talking red lettuces, not aquatic plants. Could be though, there's a lot of diversity out there.

I don't mean UV sterilisers integrated into filtration. It seems like a lot of the fish we tend to keep would be exposed to fair amounts of UV light in the wild and I just noticed on a pack of hikari food that it specifically mentions supplementation designed to "support colour retention in UV deficient environments".
I keep some reptiles that can be kept and even bred without UV lighting but providing it still seems to make a big difference to their overall health and wellbeing as well as colour.
Could it be that uv bulbs would be of some benefit for some fish? I've never seen this discussed before. Couldn't it also be a factor in why sometimes algae doesn't seem to thrive in natural water bodies where it seems like it should?
Simple answer is most UV effects in an aquatic environment have little proof. The few that " may" can usually be duplicated with plain old intensity in the blue- violet range.
Second, historically true UV LEDs were expensive and short lived. Like 1000's of hours vs 10000's of hours.
Currently real statistics are few and far in-between. You can hardly tell say 15% loss over time in a visible light spectrum.
Especially over say 3 years. You would just compensate visually. Unless completely dead the UV LEDs may never show becoming ineffective due to output loss.

BUT if you raise turtles or penguins it's needed...🙂 The vit D thingy .

Now this is more of an ??? thing aquatically rather than it makes no difference thing.

UV does have terrestrial effects but more in the drug and flavor category.
Then terrestrials are grown in 100's of ppfd.

With some overlap in "pigment" production
The above is for uv-a which in the low ranges ( 350-ish-400) is still photosynthetically active
Higher uv's like b and c well cost/ benefit for aquatics seems to lean to not worth it from a cultural and cost standpoint.
Well NEVER add C..
As to B:
UV-B regulates photomorphogenesis including hypocotyl elongation inhibition, cotyledon expansion, and flavonoid accumulation, but high intensity UV-B can also harm plants by damaging DNA, triggering accumulation of reactive oxygen species, and impairing photosynthesis.

Now I have no idea about fish. I do suspect that some foods may contain dyes that can tissue accumulate and be fluorescent.
Lots of royal blue or violet nm leds may produce a like effect on the dyes
" Brightners" are common in paper and cloth

Last as to t5's. Seebs mixed but my general statement is unless specifically designed any UV output (a,b,or c) is minor.
There "color punch" is mostly due to the RGB effect and/ or higher cri than older led designs.
Or like the old " growlux" more red and blue phosphors than a daylight bulb.

Glowfish still glow w no UV ..

But tell me more about UV being good for animals. I know it's not good for humans and spend a lot of effort to minimize my exposure (except not going outside - I gotta get my outside time, skin cancer and the rest be damned), so I would be very reluctant to add more to my environment.

I do know that some plants won't color up without UV, but I'm talking red lettuces, not aquatic plants. Could be though, there's a lot of diversity out there.
It's basking lizards that I'm talking about so not the best analogue for humans but if I was keeping a captive human I would definitely try and get them at least some UV exposure. There's a reason why Charlie Bronson has to wear shades all the time now.
The lizards use UVB to synthesise vitamin D3 but you can also provide it to them via their food. Anecdotally though the provision of both UVB and UVA seems to have a broader positive effect on their health and this has been borne out by my own experiences with them, including for some small diurnal species that are almost always kept without UV light as they are non basking forest floor dwellers.

It's basking lizards that I'm talking about so not the best analogue for humans but if I was keeping a captive human I would definitely try and get them at least some UV exposure. There's a reason why Charlie Bronson has to wear shades all the time now.
The lizards use UVB to synthesise vitamin D3 but you can also provide it to them via their food. Anecdotally though the provision of both UVB and UVA seems to have a broader positive effect on their health and this has been borne out by my own experiences with them, including for some small diurnal species that are almost always kept without UV light as they are non basking forest floor dwellers.

Attachments

I had an iguana for many years. Best practise is a basking lamp for heat and dietary vitamin supplementation for vitamin D (and others).
Why do you believe that to be the case? For Iguanas is this not likely a function of their large size and it being difficult to artificially illuminate a sufficiently sized area with UVB for them at the appropriate levels? all of the geckos I keep max out at about 6cm but I've noticed really significant differences between those raised without access to UV and those only provided dietary D3.

Why do you believe that to be the case? For Iguanas is this not likely a function of their large size and it being difficult to artificially illuminate a sufficiently sized area with UVB for them at the appropriate levels? all of the geckos I keep max out at about 6cm but I've noticed really significant differences between those raised without access to UV and those only provided dietary D3.
I worry about eye damage from UV-A exposure.

An interesting follow up. Regarding fish. Keep in mind that except for metal halides the amount of UV considered is quite different than solar UV where at 10% the intensity can be 10x any normal light (made up numbers for discussion)

Lots of rabbit holes to go down..

Saltys have dealt with this "issue" for decades.. Different life forms of course.
This is a metal halide. For a t5 divide by like 10.. (well a lot less)
uv-r2.JPG

Last edited:

Aquatic plant under UV light

It certainly does help the aquatic plant as well, we talked about this few years back and my friend conducted the experiment since he had all the skills to do the brain surgery on the led. during that time no led companies truly implemented the UV in their lights for the aquarium, but nowadays most companies do add small amount of UV to their fixtures. adding too many UV led bulbs can be bit risky especially if we or our kids spend their time near the lights very often, especially when someone like me who have a tendency to stare at the lights :lol:

Back