• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why can't I grow healthy plants? What am I missing? - Now improving!

It has been three months now and I am having some success so I thought I would post an update with the changes I have made.

After installing the JBL 1502 filter I bought a length of pipe and played around with different hole sizes and position to get the best flow. I found that I the flow was stronger at the end of the spraybar so i put the holes closer together at the first part of the bar gradually getting further apart towards the end. I think the flow is quite good now with some force hitting the front glass.

Unfortunately my up inline atomiser got a pinhole leak in the top plastic, I repaired it with araldite which worked but after a will it sprung other leaks so I got a JBL atomiser which seams much better made. This meant It was a few weeks until I could monitor if the changes had worked.

The plants did improve a bit but still grew slow and the black algae still grew on leaf edges. I continued extra water changes and kept the tank and filter clean removing what algae i could to see if things improved. Unfortunately things continued much the same. I decided the only thing left to try was more light.

I purchased a Twinstar 600s with a hinterfeld s2-pro controller. I Started the light at 60% and increased to 70% after two weeks. The rotala rotundifolia showed immediate improvement with bigger healthier leaves. Soon the s. repens started growing bigger healthier leaves as well. Two weeks on I increased the light to 80% and now the black algae has disappeared for the leaves as I have been replanting the healthy tops and so far hasn't come back. It's still on the rocks. It has only been at 80% for 2 weeks now so early days. The Rotala is also now showing some red.

I had removed all the monti carlo as it had mostly all died so I will get some more and see if I can get a carpet to grow.

I think without improving the flow first I would still have problems but it's the extra light that has improved things as far as I can tell. It seams with healthier plants no BBA.

Hopefully things continue to improve!

(Photos of the tank are from when I added the light so a month or so old)
IMG_20181009_165645.jpg IMG_20181009_165820.jpg IMG_20181010_204413.jpg IMG_20181030_183121.jpg IMG_20181030_183132.jpg

I'm stoned by all the work you do to maintain your tanks, I don't know, I just placed my plants, the lights and that was it, I have never done two 50% water change a week, but I mean NEVER, no ferts no co2, I even have to trim from time to time due to all the grow, maybe could be the water parameters where you live or something but for all you are doing your plants should be OK

I'm stoned by all the work you do to maintain your tanks, I don't know, I just placed my plants, the lights and that was it, I have never done two 50% water change a week, but I mean NEVER, no ferts no co2, I even have to trim from time to time due to all the grow

I thought that's what it was going to be like, and it was for a bit. As time went on I changed things and tried different plants, maintaining the look and growth got more difficult. I probably could have maintained a healthy tank with only minor changes and little effort if i new what was needed, but I don't so I did everything to cover all bases. Some things probable made thinks worse but I think I have learnt a lot along the way.

I have seen photos of great looking tanks from people just starting but that's not how it worked for me.

Hello Nick,
I have had more or less all the problems that you have encountered in trying to grow aquatic plants. I set up a tank about 5 months ago with very poor results and while trying to find reasons for my continuing failures I came across and joined Ukaps and I read everything I could to try and find answers.

I strongly suspect that my biggest problem was water circulation, hindered because I cannot use an external power filter due to the fact that I live in an apartment block, and years ago I flooded a neighbour below when the filter leaked emptying my tank, and now I will only use an internal filter.

Now with the use off 2 powerheads along with the internal filter I think I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I have to also thank the great advice that the members kindly pass on through all the articles and answers that are to be found here.

I hope that things continue to improve for both of us.

Back