• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White spots in Otocinclus?

Sorry... this:

Gt7jF2t.jpg

RW3rUVL.jpg

Only this specimen has so many white dots, in another one the white dots are only on the fins and in a third one there is only one or two disperse dots on the back.
It is the first time I have these fish and I am not sure if this is a normal color pattern (honestly their back colour is difficult to describe in terms of color, it's a kind of irregular greyish-whitish colour) or the white spot disease (I really don't know if this disease is common in this fish)...

Any idea?

Cheers,
Jordi

Attachments

• Gt7jF2t.jpg
    Gt7jF2t.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 459
  • RW3rUVL.jpg
    RW3rUVL.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 971
Definitely something wrong. I can't tell what it is but its usually advised to wait a while if the shop has just got them in. They are hardy fish but the process in which these are caught and the journey to the shop will usually leave these fish fairly weak hence initially prone to disease and death.

Looks like white spot (Ich) to me, based on the size of the spots and presence on fins, esp you say only on fins on one fish.
Velvet caused very fine spots, like a dusting.
But treatment is similar and you need to treat that right now, that is quite a severe infection. After one more life cycle you will have a very severe infection.

Hi all,
Velvet caused very fine spots, like a dusting.
Definitely could be white-spot and true for most fish, but on Loricariids you get these yellow spots.

There has been a thread about it recently on "PlanetCatfish" <View topic - What disease is this?>. Another thread <View topic - L369 didn't travel well> suggested most cases of "White spot" and Velvet in Loricariids are actually caused by another parasite, Chilodonella. Both "Barbie" and "Apistomaster" are very experienced plec keepers, so one (or both) are likely to be right.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, unfortunately the specimen on the picture died this weekend. I think he was too weak to adapt to a new tank. For the moment the rest of the fish seem ok.

If it helps for other hobbyists with the same problem... I observed in detail the dead one and I saw that the dots were not exactly the same I can see on the backs and fins of the other (alive) ones. The colour is different, yellowish on the dead one, with some kind of "volume" and round shaped. The "normal" dots are white, with no volume nor regular shape.

Back