• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Tubes

Steve Mckendrick

Seedling
Im struggling for plant growth and have gone back to my Tubes. Im running 2 x 39watt Aquapinks.
Is there a better tube to encourage plant growth?

Thanks in advance

Plants basically don't care about the colour much, except green which they reflect. It's more about the intensity of the light. So a different tube can give better growth as it's more efficient at converting the power into light ie photons. So checking how many lumens the tubes per watt is a good way to see how efficient they are. Also fitting reflectors to the tubes helps improve the light getting to the plants too.
Or add more lights. My carpet was struggling after a trim, it wasn't getting enough light, noon mistake by me. So fitted some extra light temporary and within minutes pearling like never before. Carpet is doing great. Have cut the light intensity back as giving way too much and still working on getting the balance right.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Hi Steve have you read James Cs thread on his trying out T5s, the most common combination if buying actual lights aimed at planted aquariums seems to be something members like is a light like Arcadia plant pro with a freshwater daylight .iquatics did have 3 tubes for £21 offerwhich have a less strong "pink hue" than grolux if you like that look.You want enough light but the rendition you like is best rather than too much focus on what this or that bulb can do. Most members agree that 2 T5s is considered high lighting so CO2 and fertilisers could be a factor too.I am not an expert more a trial and error approach as well as reading up on tutorials and threads which give plenty of useful information.Anothe good one is the members Journals were the lighting used and the aquarium journey is explained

Thanks guys. Ive just bit the bullet and bought two Arcadia plant pro from swell (they were on offer).
By getting them I can eliminate lights and now look at the co2 and nutrition.

Thanks Again for the help

Just an update. Fitted the two Arcadia Plant pros and wow. Id read about having to change tubes as they loose intensity but geez I didnt realise they loose that much.
Its like ive just turned on flood lighting. Being in my office there isnt much natural light so any light looks strong but these just show how poor the last tubes were.

Ian_m, Ive got my diffuser under my spraybar so the bubble when they come up are well distributed throughout the tank. I assume there is a good enough saturation as the drop checker at the other end of the tank is a pale green but whats the best way to check.

Back