• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Substrate

steveninaster

I need some advice. I've bought a 180 ltr tank today and ordered 2 x 39w T5 lights, I already have a filter, heater, pressurised CO2 etc. so it's just the substrate to think about. I will be EI dosing.

My original plan was to separate the substrate with aqua soil at the back and sand at the front. Looking around it looks like there are other options, it's just whether the extra cost for aqua soil is worthwhile.

My plan now is to mix some leftover tetraplant and JBL 7 balls with cat litter and cap the front with the sand I already have.

So the question is would aquasoil make that much difference?

Also I've been considering putting a small layer of Peat at the back under the cat litter. Would this work\help?
Having read more it seems osmacote and peat under the litter is the right way to go so I'm going to try this.

Thanks
Steve

You have got plenty of ideas & options there, the fact is you can grow plants in an inert substrata without any additives & perhaps this is the safest way if you are going to add daily fertiliser to the water column?
Personally I prefer a plain non dissolving substrate but, that is because I also prefer long term displays that I regularly need to remove plants from & generally mess about with. When I have used soil based substrate i find that disturbing the soil or soft clay can caurse problems.
However if you are planning a sort term display with a initial planting & then taking apart in 6 months or so then perhaps the soil can offer both cosmetic & plants growth benefits?

Back