• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which plant?

Tom Raffield

Hi all,

My tank (as shown in the photo) has been doing alright over the last few months. I have dealt with a few algae problems although my appearance of black edges (BBA) still remains but I am upping phosphates when I mix my next batch of macro ferts. I am also about to add two brand new light tubes and a second Hydor Koralia (much larger than my current one) to add more circulation and flow.

However my current background plant on the right of the tank has been decimated by snails (I think). I have noticed a couple of Malaysian trumpet snails but I generally don't mind these but have also spotted small, flat, round white snails which I have never had in a tank before. I have no idea how they got into the tank but they must surely be the culprit of the damage shown in the photos. The plant has taken a real battering and looks terrible so I am tempted to simply remove the whole lot.

I liked the fact the munched plant got so tall and also added a splash of colour to the tank. However, with its demise I am looking for a replacement background plant. I am looking for something which is very easy to grow (even though I dose ferts and add pressurised CO2). Ideally it would have a little colour and ideally it would not be a stem plant as I seem to struggle more with them. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance folks, IMG_4671.JPG IMG_4672.JPG IMG_4673.JPG IMG_4674.JPG
IMG_4671.JPG
IMG_4672.JPG
IMG_4673.JPG
IMG_4674.JPG
IMG_4671.JPG IMG_4672.JPG IMG_4673.JPG IMG_4674.JPG

Have a look at Aponogeton crispus - very easy to grow, right size, not a stem and with good light and the added bit of CO2 it will likely develop red(ish) colour on some leaves. If it grow too dense, you just pull off some of the oldest leaves.

Back