• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which algae is this and how do I treat it

IMG_0475.JPG

How much is your phosphate level? Did you dose any kind of phosphate? Green spot algae may indicate low phosphate level

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

GSA on Hygrophyla and looks like oedogonium on wood. You could spot treat it without any harm to shrimps. Turn off filter, apply with syringe, wait 5 minutes, turn back on the filter.

The GSA I think is from under fertilising, so I've upped the ferts. Ive been running lean. I've dimmed the lights too. I'll spot treat the oedogonium and up the Co2 a little.

My Amano haven't been near it, or my RCS. They don't get fed much either, so why I questioned whether it was cladophora.

On the wood looks like Cladophora sp. which is a hair algae.. It is an algae very close to the plant genus and very hardy.. Might be the same as you can buy in the LFS as Moss Ball and came with the plants or fish.. In high light it can explode and spread extrmely fast, in lower light it can be very decorative. In a well established tank with good plantgrowth it can form a very decorative carpet on hardscape. :) Shrimps love it, so having lots of shrimp helps keeping it in check.. I got it too in my low tech and kinda like it.

You can kill it with spot treating it with peroxyde, but it might need a few treats.. It will turn grey in color when dead.

How much is your phosphate level? Did you dose any kind of phosphate? Green spot algae may indicate low phosphate level

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

PO4 I've not measured, but comes in good supply in my tap water which gets 65% changed once a week.. I'm dosing a mix of ADA step 1 and special lights, but under the recommended dosage for the tank water volume, so I've upped this to 1.5 recommended dose and will keep an eye on it. It's pretty diluted stuff by all accounts.

The Aquasky was on full blast, but I've got a dimmer for this, so turned it down to chill things out whilst I get on top of the algae. I have a little on the hygrophelia and a little on the wood, but apart from that and the hair algae it's spotless.

Back