• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When will Plant growth with Co2 be noticeable?

Glank27

I installed the Aquatic Nature Co2 system last monday and i'm dosing around 2-3 bubbles per second in my 240 ltr tank. Todate i still haven;t noticed any particular growth :(
I witnessed some slight pearling in the Heteranthera Zosterifolia and even in an Anubia barberi, but am disappointed as i havent seen the boosted growth everyone talks about.

Am i expecting too much or is there something wrong? My fast growing plants are Heteranthera Zosterifolia and Vallisneria Asiatica, which havn't shown signs of growth since.
Lighting is 2x 54W t5/9hrs a day, fertilization with ocean nutrition fertil+, trace+ and Iron+ daily.

Glank27 said:
i'm dosing around 2-3 bubbles per second in my 240 ltr tank

mmm...do you have a drop checker? maybe not. My guess is, your not injecting enough co2.

do your ferts NPK? this is a vital part of a co2/light diet.

yes i have a drop checker but now i'm aware of the NPK not used in ocean nutrition's range. Infact i'll switch to seachem range.

Co2 & Co2 distribution throughout the whole tank is the secret, I don't doubt the ferts make a difference but, you should see a very noticeable difference in plant activity pretty much straight away.
I maintain a pretty low level of co2 to maintain my tank but if I want to see extra growth for what ever reason, I turn up the gas & see the plants pearling within hours.
For many years I struggled to get good growth even though I repeatedly read about water movement & getting the right gas level! Eventually I upped the main pump size & added two power heads, this made my tank look more like a reef tank with the plants gently swaying around but, this was the answer.....
I used to introduce the gas straight into the pump inlet & direct the return through a spray bar fitted mid water along the back of the tank. This method has worked very well for me during the last ten years but I recently fitted an in-line diffuser.
The new diffuser seem to work just as well but without the millions of micro bubble visible in the tank however - the good thing about the micro bubbles was you could clearly see how the C02 enriched water was being distributed in the tank.
I found that if the background plants grew to big the flow would be very poor around certain ares of the tank & this very often lead to algae issues within days & the foreground plants would stop pearling!!
I feel flow & distribution is critical for success.
Fox.

I feel flow & distribution is critical for success.
Without a doubt, I concentrated solely on making sure the DC was the right colour at the right time of day but only when I got better circulation around the tank using an internal filter in dead spot back corner and a Koralia pump pushing water from the back back again around the front did I see any improvement in plants growth.

Am i expecting too much or is there something wrong?
Another possibility, co2 isn't really a miracle cure all other factors need to be right before any real differences will be seem and one week isn't really a long time in the scheme of things. The plants will just be getting into their new co2 rich environment and adapting to it.

Back