• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When and how much Co2

TarkMalbot

Sorry for the vague title but I am having some trouble knowing when and of how much Co2 to inject. At present I start injecting at 3pm and my lights go on at 4pm. The Co2 goes off at 9pm an the lights at 10pm.

For instance it is now 8pm so the Co2 has been on for 5 hours and my drop checker is only just green. If the drop checker takes 2 hours to fully respond am I right in thinking that what I am reading now is what it was at 6pm or after it had been on for 3 hours?

My bubble counter is that fast I can't even count how many per second and the tank is full of tiny bubbles. The tank flow is good and there are bubbles all over the tank. I have taken the following video to show what is going on but what should I do? Leave it or do I need to change something?

Thanks.

This is what the drop checker looks like now after Co2 has been on for 5 hours and lights on for 4:

644B2BB9-3111-470E-AABF-6CE6D17EC556-7935-00000AB10CA22E1B.jpg

FC0A287A-C2E8-434C-83EE-C3EA3B2136C8-7935-00000AB108116CEF.jpg

You need to be at lime green when the lights come on. Maybe the first thing to try is have the Co2 come on 2 hours before lights. Mine comes on 3 and a half hours before lights. It's a case of testing different durations or injection rates.

Set it up today so it came on 2 hours before. It's lime green now and the lights have come on. I will monitor it now.

I must be losing a lot of gas though looking at how many bubbles are at the surface:

6EFB524B-8EC9-4610-959D-9A53454668D3-8408-00000BD4D509489B.jpg

Ok. Keep an eye on the fish while the Co2 is on. If its an UP in line atomiser you are using you will get some bubbles on the top. Can you see small bubbles taking a circular path after being driven down the front of the glass?

It's a Fluval ceramic diffuser at the moment. Distribution seems pretty good. Have you watched my video I posted at the start of the topic?

Sorry I have now. I think that's probably expected performance with your current set up. Have you considered putting the diffuser under the filter intake? That might reduce your Co2 usage, but personally I'd see how your current configuration works before changing.

I could try that. That would then suck the Co2 up then through the external filter and out of the spray bay giving it more time to be absorbed into the water. I am getting an UP inline atomiser soon as I have sent mine back for an exchange as I got the wrong size.

Back