• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's this???

Also....bulb went today and only had half hour to get to the shop and buy one after work. I bought the only one they had, 15w T8 day light but only 6000k. Is this ok? The light looks a shade of pink compare to the last one. Will my plants be ok under this lighting??

If you are talking about the fish. It is a kribensis cichlid.
2df682e7263a7c1d3ad8383af48be6a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Best thing about them beside having a good temperament. Is both male and female have great color. Not just the male.

Stunning colour and I love the shape of the tale
but get only One!
World Domination through many, many brood children, that will also begin spawning as soon as able :eek:
(person brought "the pair" & their 200+ children into friend's shop - he'd only had the original pair a few months)

Funny you say that I had I guy on craigslist who always seemed to have some for sale. Lol

It's between them and either Rams or I also like the apistogramma hongsloi...decisions decisions

The Kribs are lovely fish, I had a pair and really enjoyed them for a while, but I was warned about them before I got them and I still took a chance, but ended up having to return them. They are really chilled out when they are not breeding, but they spawn really easily and once they do, they are aggressive. I have a 120 litre aquarium, which at the time was quite well planted with a sand substrate for them to dig in, lots of space to hide in the bogwood and the LFS said that this would be fine, they would just claim a small corner for themselves. Nope, they claimed all 120 litres and attacked fish that were as far away from the fry as they could be in the opposite corner of the tank. Not just moving them away, but continuously pursuing them around the tank. This went on for a couple of weeks, started off with 40-50 fry from the first spawn, but they gradually reduced in numbers, I think because the Kribs were eating their own babies, but also because the Odessa Barb was pretty big and probably picked off some too. After all the aggression, I returned them before they had a second chance to spawn, they just turned the tank in to a battlefield which was no fun to watch.

Hhmm some food for thought...I like them and the apistogramma hongsloi but both seem relatively aggressive. I only have a 63l tank.
I know I would like celestial pearl danios, any suggestions and I nice coloured peaceful fish to go with them as a centre piece? Also have some Amanos at the moment and I've read the hongsloi might munch them!

I'm in a similar boat in that I have not found a centre piece fish to replace them. I have Cory Sterbai, Ottos and a big group of Ember Tetra, along with 4 Amanos. I have not found anything that fits in my 120 litres, is happy with high flow and really stands out. So many fish in that category either get a bit fruity when they spawn like the dwarf cichlids, or they don't like high flow and bright lights like the dwarf Gouramis, plus I'm not a big fan of Gouramis anyway. With 63 litres you really need to watch the size of fish, so you might be better with a nice bright group of smaller fish like Cardinals. I'm thinking of adding another shoal of either cardinals or rummynose tetra to get some colour in there without introducing large fish. With having the 45 cm tall aquarium and struggling to get anything that will go to the top half, I'm also looking at hatchet fish.

It is hard. My flow is relatively strong as well so looking at maybe getting a spray bar to help diffuse it. I might just opt for the good old guppies for the moment plus my danios, it will keep the kids happy anyway!
I saw a lovely 4ft tank for 50 but don't have the space for it in my current house. May look into building a custom tank myself to fit somewhere...
There's a guy who has a Facebook page THe FIsh Hut selling nannostomus mortenthareli(?) wild caught and a gorgeous red but at £8 a pop a school would bankrupt me haha

Had quite a few kribs in the past, they are great fish.. But all tho they are not that big, they definitively need a big tank because they have a big temperament.. :)
I would say anything under 250 liter is rather at the small side for them, they absolutely need a well planted setup and a cave. This cave they will use as love nest and very soon will have fry, this is something realy beautifull to widness. The father has the protective role and chases everything away which comes to near to the cave, that's why they need a big tank, in a small tank every corner is to near to the cave and the father and all other fish will go mad.

They both take care of the nest and after the fry is born, mammy will come out of the cave surrounded by all here ofspring, proudly cruising the tank while dady keeps gaurd and circles around.. When the lights dim, they return to the cave, mammy takes a few of her baby's in here mouth brings them in and comes back to get the others.. This can be very funny and go on for some time. becuase some of the little rascals don't feel like going to bed yet and will slip out the cave again and mammy has the take 'm back in. After they are all in, mammy will often lay in the entrance of tthe cave with only here head sticking out and dady just keeps all unwanted curious guests away.

In a healthy tank with a healthy pair they will multiply like mice. Could take a while, it's the same as with rams they are prone to eat their own fry if they feel threatened to much in a to small tank or to sparsely planted and not enough cover or just get frustrated for other reasons. Sometimes even if all seems ok, they just eat the first nests, without any obvious reason.. But it's still a hell of a show.. :thumbup:

Back