• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's going on here - surface bubbles

Bradders

Hi All,

A new aquarium, new filter, heavily planted, CO2 injected, started 10 days ago, with no livestock.

All looked OK, then I started going down from daily to 3 times a week water changes from Tuesday, and the below bubble-tastic surface started. (Water changes may be unrelated).

Doesn't look great, but does anyone know what this means?

Thanks,
Brad

IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1327.jpeg

My guess is it’s a build up of organics and proteins, most likely leaching out of the aqua soil. Foamy water is a tell tale sign of excess proteins/ organics in your water.

I wouldn’t stress too much yet, and it will likely clear soon if you keep doing your water changes. Unless you’re adding dish soap to your tank for some inexplicable reason

Hi Bradders,

I had a similar issue albeit with around 1/3rd of the bubbles but surface film also. Using Tropica Aquasoil - I raised the outlets on my filters to make more surface agitation and that has definitely helped with the film and the bubbles reduced significantly.

I don’t know what caused the bubbles (someone said it was ammonia from the soil but who knows)

Thanks,

Murray

Thanks @martinjcxn, @Spartacus and @Maf 2500.

I am indeed using Tropica Aquairum Soil. Also, the aquarium is very new so hoping this is all just part of the process. As suggested, I might increase surface agitatiion for a while and also up the water changes for another week.

Plants are definitely growing, seeing pearling and DO was at 7.5mg/l tonight before lights out. I might just check whether Amonnia is a problem tomorrow morning first thing.

Back