• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What you do with co2 & ferts when on holiday

Saman

I’m going away in a few weeks and my tank will be left for about 6 days - I use co2 & dose ferts daily. It’s quite a hassle to find someone to come in and dose the tank so I’m looking for a solution each time I go away where I don’t rely on anyone.

I’ve read a few threads on here about cutting the lights & co2 completely - then slowly building back up. My worry with this is that I’ve only just got my co2 stable after some issues with my regulator and am still managing the fall out of this.

Be great to hear what other people do when they go away. I don’t have an automatic doser but could consider that (I haven’t looked into this at all at this point so have no idea how it’s done but I imagine it’s expensive if you’re not at all technical like me and can’t do something DIY so prob not an option).

Thank you

I’m going away in a few weeks and my tank will be left for about 6 days - I use co2 & dose ferts daily.

For six days - just dose six days worth of ferts and go. Just make sure if using surface skimmers eg Ehiem Skim, that they are clean before you go.

Thanks all. I’ll go with your advice @Zeus. and dose 6 days in one go - that will be 60 mils - 30 mils macro & 30 micro and do a water change the day before I go.

that will be 60 mils - 30 mils macro & 30 micro
Just give it a couple of hours between Macros and Micros ;).

I am a fan of regular small doses, however it doesn't make a massive difference and needs must.

Before I built my PLC to control CO2, lights & ferts I went away numerous times leaving high tech tank alone. Did 2 weeks no issue.

I turned down lights and CO2 time from 6 hours light & 7 hours CO2 to 4 hours light and 5 hours CO2. I also had a fish feeder feeding once every 14 hours. Obviously no ferts dosing, but just bunged a lot in before I left.

When I was due to go away for 5 weeks, I initially filled small labelled containers (www.ampulla.co.uk) with portions of food, portions of fertiliser for neighbour to come in and put in tank every day. Unfortunately neighbour got "scared" so I built my auto dosing setup. DIY Project - DIY dual peristaltic dosing pump with alternate switching.

Now all controlled via a PLC and tanks is mostly automatic. Just needs automatic cleaning, plant trimming and water changing feature adding some day !!.

Back