• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this Algae

Jamie McGrath

This algae is growing around the edges of my Anubis plant and it is also growing on the lower stems of some of my stem plants. This algae is impossible too scrape off, it looks like Tar that has washed up on a beach. Dose anyone know what this stuff is? how is it caused and what I need to do to stop it coming back? I hope someon out there can help, many thanks in advance.

DSC_0111.JPG

It still could be an algae form, tho encrusting algae are commonly found in marine invironment known as coralline algae and most of them are red algae spieces. Like our BBA is a red algae looking black. Some encrusting algae are discovered in freshwater as well...

Here is a caresheet about Anubias, down at the page is a series of close up pictures of black encrusting allgae on anubias leaves..
http://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/aquarium-plants/anubias-barteri/

You could try to spot treat it with peroxide and see if it dies of and changes color..

Back