• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What happened to my anubias?

jameson_uk

I moved some stuff around the other day and as a result the Anubias Nana which was attached to a bit of driftwood was sat on the side for a few hours. I noticed it had dried out a little and some of the leaf edges had curled up so I took it off the wood and put it on the tank (wedged under a large anubias).

These had a little GSA but otherwise were pretty healthy.

Tonight I noticed lots of holes. These look like the amanos have had a good munch but they have never shown an interest before.

8c03b70de0bba25e210aed75937d9e35.jpg

bdd5cf9adb62a29aca079e8ba3c9044e.jpg

Did I damage the leaves by taking them out the tank for too long and if so will the plant recover if I remove the damaged leaves (most look in a similar state)

Yes Anubias is very drought intolerant, this definitively damages the submersed formed leaves very soon. a water change without additional spraying water on te plants taking 30 minutes can be enough to cause damage. In any other case this also is a typical Anubias symptom for light (too much) / CO² (too low). :)

In any other case this also is a typical Anubias symptom for light (too much) / CO² (too low). :)

Would we not expect to see some GSA and BBA on the anubias also if there was a Light/CO2 issue ( I know your not saying its light/CO2 OFC ;))

If those bits dried out and and died the shrimp would come along and treat them like dead plant matter - eat it. The plant will recover but the damaged leaves won't. Up to you if you prefer some but damaged leaves, or want to take them off and wait for new ones.

Just surprised me how quickly the leaves got damaged. Also surprised that something had eaten it (I am assuming the amanos or nerites have done the damage) as the leaves are so thick and even damaged I didn't think anything would bother with it.

Would we not expect to see some GSA and BBA on the anubias also if there was a Light/CO2 issue ( I know your not saying its light/CO2 OFC ;))

I guess is a legit expectation.. :) Inseparable? Dunno. Since i got me a planted low tech tank outdoors standing under the sun and it grows less alage than all my indoor tanks. I do not feel comfy enough to go into the discussion if high light in a low energy (low co²) tank is inseperable conected with growing algae. I experience it isn't and also experience not all plants grow equaly well and healthy in this condition, some thrive others just still melt away.. But algea? No.. Not yet.. :)

Back