What exactly causes BBA?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Zak Rafik, 29 Mar 2015.

1. sciencefiction

sciencefiction Member

Let's revive this thread :lol:

It is not an "imbalance" of nutrients or any sort of fancy term that causes BBA. It is a constant stream of organics, be it in the form of a tank full of unhealthy plants for one or another reason, or simply some wood with bark left on it that slowly decomposes, substrate issues, overstocked tanks, uneaten food, any instance of those or a combination,...etc...etc....
    Add to that some good flow(it loves flow) and some extra light for it to grow...But the first trigger is organics and BBA will appear in quite the low light..and flow if it attaches to something it can feed on...or the water provides the same source of organics....

To sum it up, think of where the source of organics might be coming from in your particular tank :)

Last edited: 4 May 2018
    AndreiD and Daveslaney like this.
  2. fablau

fablau Member

Traces = micros. Any. In other words, for me BBA appears only when my plants are unhappy due to some missing nutrient or unbalance.

3. fablau

fablau Member

Sorry to contradict you, but as I wrote earlier, for me BBA appears only when I have nutrient issues. Nothing about organics for me. I am saying this for those folks that, like myself, tried everything either Co2 side or organics side with no luck for years, to find out that BBA on their Anubias was caused only by the lack of some nutrients and imbalanced nutrients (i.e. CSM+B with inert substrates and high pH, and similar issues).

In other words: it is true that bad distributed, fluctuating, or low Co2 can cause BBA. It is also true that high organics can cause BBA. But it is also true that unhappy plants due to nutrients issues can cause BBA as well.

Simon Hellmich likes this.
  4. sciencefiction

sciencefiction Member

Unhappy plants leach organics from the damaged tissue to which the BBA is attracted to. The damage is not always visible to the naked eye. Why the plants are unhappy is a variable. It could be anything, from too little to too much light, to nutrient deficiencies and CO2 issues, etc...At the same time the source of organics could be something else and not the plants, hence unplanted tanks can have a BBA outbreak.

fablau likes this.
  5. fablau

fablau Member

Thank you for clarifying what you meant, I agree with you 100%. It is important to understand the difference between having organics being the primary cause, and having organics being the secondary cause. As you explained very well above. Thank you again.

sciencefiction likes this.
  6. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

Was chatting with Tim Harrison about his Return of the Shallow and his fert regime. He doses a 'Luxury' dose as he finds it gets better growth, not that his tank was suffering from BBA, but by the same rule it's also what Clive and T Barr in a way advise with EI dosing ie.Nutrents in excess at non toxic levels gets the optimum plants growth, don't fight aglea aim for healthy plant growth and aglea isn't a problem.
    Hence I am in the Luxury EI dosing ATM also, or would be if I wasn't on holiday.

7. Jacob Coleman

Jacob Coleman Member

Hopefully I can solve my BBA issues now :)

8. tiger15

tiger15 Member

I believe in allelopathy. Before I had plants, I had to struggle with bba on rock and hard surfaces in my fish only tank. I had to take rock out to cleanse bba with bleach from time to time. I had bba even on gravel that I couldn’t do anything about. After I introduced plants and balanced out with healthy plant mass, bba disappeared in plants, rock and all hard surfaces despite higher nutrients and light intensity. So there must be agents released by healthy plants to inhibit bba attachment on plants and the environment.

9. jaypeecee

jaypeecee Member