• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape What do you think?

Lia Joy

This is my first go at aquascaping. Nothing is glued down yet, so open to advice :)
The tank is 90 x 50 x 50 cm.
IMG_7297.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7299.jpg

Hi Lia
Overall it's not bad at all. I like the sloping of the substrate from front to back. The larger driftwood on the left looks nice with lots of branches to attack moss and rhizome pants etc. The rocks have a nice colour and texture to them.
My suggestion are as follows:
  • The base of the left drift wood seams to be sitting to high up on the rocks. As a result the bulbous base is to prominent. Consider sinking the base into the substrate to reduce this. You could even rotate the driftwood clockwise such that the right branches are touching the substrate.
  • The 2nd right sided island of the round driftwood and rocks draws the eye away from the main hardscape of the left. It seams unbalanced. I'd suggest removing the driftwood and using a smaller rock or a trail of small rocks that would lead the eye more subtly across the tank from left to right. Alternatively remove the right island completely and embrace the negative space created.

it is nice- only one thing from here:
i would even out the soil level in the front to the precise same hight line

Nice, good job. You've got a very decent sense of perspective and proportion, and have filled the canvas well. I wouldn't worry about the uneven substrate level at the front. If anything I'd make it more random. It adds to the tension. When you plant you could try and create a bit more negative space and perspective by placing low growing plants front to back in between the islands.

Little height on the right, just lower than the right will give a good contrast for a second visual point.
I wouldn't worry about the left being too high on the rocks. Epiphytes like Bruce, anubias can be used at the base of the right as as the left.

Back