• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are your nitrate - guzzling plants?

I think the nitrate toxicity issue in high vs low flow systems is oxygen levels in the filters.

I assume it is, faster flow would give you system with more dissolved oxygen, via a larger gas exchange surface.

Poor methodology if dissolved oxygen wasn't taken into account, I assumed the direction of the author was towards N modification of oxygen carrier (proteins) thereby reducing available blood oxygen levels

Last edited:
That's very reassuring, thank you. I am very conscious that panicking and taking drastic action would probably do more harm than good so I'm more sure of what I need to do next, thank you.

This was directed to ian_m

@ Gaina
I want to apologize for inadvertently instigating a serious thread hijack :oops::oops::oops: :sorry::sorry::sorry:

Hello everyone! Thank you SO much for all the replies. I'm sorry I haven't been around to reply to them all, for someone reason AOL hasn't sending me notification of replies. :angelic:

I've added two pots of amazon frogbit, changed to a better liquid fertiliser and the plants have really rocketed away, thus consuming more nitrate. Curiously, I also switched to a different test kit and I find it much easier to read and I'm confident nitrate levels are in the 'safe zone'. :happy:

Back