• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are my options?

Hi all,

I'm 1 week into my dry start but I'm already starting to think ahead. I have an Aquael PAT Mini filter to go into my Superfish Home 25 aquarium, but I'd quite like to swap this out for something external in the future, to open up more space in the tank and use a glass lilypipe set or similar.

My issue is that I want to continue using the lid for the aquarium, and the only tubing that will fit in the gap is standard airline tubing unless I cut the lid to accommodate larger (want to avoid this if possible).

What external filter options are there, if any, that use airline tubing and have a sufficiently low flow for a small tank such as this? If my only option is to modify the lid, do you recommend a HOB filter or a canister filter?

Many thanks,

Chris

Chris

If you are concerned about tubing and the lid most take up space. The only two I know of are the old Box Filter and the Under Gravel Filter (which is too late to do now)

With careful planting they can be hidden but not completely.

Keith:wave::wave:
QfVFHGRMRrIOTsOqL9q-UJltJB9Oi4mJb3FxwLgXTbhDB8YUdX.jpg

Unsure about the lid so I just watched this video

A rather stunning (industry) depiction of completely unsuitable fish in a small aquarium :eek:

Acrylic would seem easy enough to cut - choose filter first & decide on final location/orientation before marking cuts (file smooth afterwards)

You might check with manufacturer/distributor re replacement part # & cost

See if you can pick up a spare replacement lid if you are worried about damaging your own. Might be somewhere that supplies spare parts.

Chris

I meant to add in have you thought about a small internal filter, one problem is as they are small you might have to clean them more often even weekly if necessary.

Hi Keith,

The filter I currently have is a small internal filter. Rated up to 400l/h with a switch to reduce the flow http://www.aquael.pl/en/products/akwarystyka/filtry-wewnetrzne/251-pat-mini

I'd just like to free up as much space inside the tank as I can and get rid of any unsightly filter parts so the aquascape can be enjoyed. I might even try doing my own DIY canister filter using the power head from the PAT mini... just need to find suitable tubing and lily pipe set if I go down that route.

Unsure about the lid so I just watched this video

A rather stunning (industry) depiction of completely unsuitable fish in a small aquarium :eek:

Acrylic would seem easy enough to cut - choose filter first & decide on final location/orientation before marking cuts (file smooth afterwards)

You might check with manufacturer/distributor re replacement part # & cost

I do like the idea of a canister filter however I think the flow on a lot of these would be too high for a small tank like this :/ Are there canister filters out there with suitable flow rates or adjustable flow?

Many thanks,

Chris

Most canisters offer a flow control lever or you can install "taps" such as those supplied by Eheim (for their Classic series)

Chris

I'd just like to free up as much space inside the tank as I can and get rid of any unsightly filter parts so the aquascape can be enjoyed.
There are two UGF rises in my Jebo Bowfronted tank as you can see they are completly hidden by careful planting.
This photo was published in an Australian Calendar a few years ago.

JEBOSPECIALPHOTO2112-copy_edited-2.jpg

Back