• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Weather forecast?

Calling somebody a farmer is also in our country not always meant as a compliment...
We call someone in the Team Mr Farmer all the time, he doesn't seem to mind ;)

How is the weather in UK?

Over here we indeed had a flash freeze in no time... I was hoping not to, but I had to drain all my garden tubs and tanks in the garden this weekend and move the fish indoors. Everything frozen rock-solid in less than 3 days time.

View attachment 162489

Here is some Rotala on the rocks... I guess it's over now it will not survive this...
View attachment 162490
Sorry to see & hear. Maybe there is a tarp & small heater for next time this might happen? I love your creativity!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Surely living in the sticks just means where there's lots of trees? That's what I've always assumed it meant anyway. I know it's a great British Tradition talking weather but does anyone else get sick of it being hyped so much? I'm sure global warming does have a part to play but there doesn't appear to be any normal weather anymore. It's always one extreme to the next. And it has names now!
Back in the day people just said it's freezing today and the reply was "it is is'nt it". Now you have a conversation and the reply is "yes it was -5 this morning according to my car, it's because Storm Harold is blowing the Beast from the East 2 in off the North Sea with 60 kmh winds, it's going to get colder tomorrow there was a weather warning on the news telling people to stay at home unless travel is essential" OK like I said it's cold today :rolleyes:

Another thing that gets my goat is weather programmes switching between Deg C and Deg F depending on whether it suits the story line they are pushing. We use Deg C all year round but when it's summer and we're all being warned to stay indoors we switch to F, temps in the 100's always make a better story don't they? And the latest one which is "Real Feel" now we're not getting told the actual temp we're getting told what it will feel like taking wind chill in to account so we can drop a couple more degrees on the weather forecast. Let me be the judge of that you just tell me the real temperature. What it feels like will depend whether I've got my long johns and big coat on.

Rant over :D I'm out of here before I have to explain to @zozo what a brass monkey is and what the welders part is in this. ;)

I know it's a great British Tradition talking weather but does anyone else get sick of it being hyped so much?
Absolutely, its -16 in Finland right now and there winter lasts 5 months. And guess what, its life as normal, people go about there business as they would any other day.

Absolutely, its -16 in Finland right now and there winter lasts 5 months.
Is that actual -16 or real feel -16 mate. If it's reel feel it's probably akin to a UK Northern Spring :D All we seem to get now is too hot stay in the house and protect yourself from UV. When it rains there's risk of flooding and when it's cold there's risk to traffic disruption.

Reminds me of the joke about the weather forecast where there were storms down south and the presenter said "people in the South avoid all unnecessary journeys unless essemtial, stay at jome if possible and make sure you are well stocked up with food and water. People in the North you are going to need your big coat." :D

I'm sure global warming does have a part to play but there doesn't appear to be any normal weather anymore.
That's why they now called it Climate Change rather than Global Warming, the planet is indeed warming, but the major change is the unpredictable weather partners whereas in the past the seasons were a lot more predictable. For us humans this doesn't really cause us many issues we just adapt and move on, but for animals and plants that rely on stable seasons to flourish this becomes a huge issue and can easily wipe species in the future if not controlled and ultimately also affect our food supply!

Yes, we are indeed all very spoiled en overreacting in panic mode accordingly... The first day it started freezing - 6 at night in our country the weather stations declared a national hazard Code Orange and the second day with a - 10 a Code Red as if the end of the world is nearby.

And the supermarket webshops instantly followed up with a message on their websites that according to the hazards on the road we do not deliver goods till ?...

We even made it to a Russian news channel reporting about us, with reporters falling off their chair laughing and asking the question what the hell are the Dutch all smoking over there... -12 feels like spring time for them...

Meanwhile, everybody up north in the country is having a party with anticipation sharpening their ice-skates enjoying the idea that the traditional ice skate marathon the didn't have for ages has a chance of returning back ones again since the last one was 1997.

But never the less it is a tad bizarre to go from a sunny +10°C day immediately into a -6° zone the day after and only getting colder. No wonder people are overreacting...

That's why they now called it Climate Change rather than Global Warmin
Yeah I get that mate and it's not something I take lightly. I just think weather forecasts these days look for a sensational story instead of just giving the weather.
Take real feel I mentioned for instance, not very scientific is it telling you how it might feel. It said -6 on the map where I live but realistically it was just above freezing and probably about right for the time of year whereas -6 isn't. But it isn't is it, it just might feel that way if you were stood in a field with the wind blowing in the right direction scantily clad.
Made a good talking point but realistically it was just a normal day in the north in the middle of February.

Absolutely, its -16 in Finland right now and there winter lasts 5 months. And guess what, its life as normal, people go about there business as they would any other day.
When I was living in Norway I commented on the lack of suvs and 4x4s and they just casually said if the roads are unsafe to drive, even with studded winter tires, you just don't drive, have a leasure day and cross cou try ski etc.

Go there now and again due to the taxs on cars and the breaks for evs, it's almost all teslas and leafs you see driving about.

I recall living in Kent and we had plenty of cold snowy wi ters, to the point of not being able to get in, then last few years maybe not even a frost over here in sw and the lawns needed cutting every month for years now.

I left all my tropical plants outdoors this winter period. I wonder what all survived that latest flash freeze? Somehow the Rotala still seems green... But all Echinodorus look awfully dead... :(

Spring is in the air
Can't come quick enough for me. I'm one of those people where the Winter Equinox is more important than Christmas. No signs of spring up here yet in fact we've got a storm going on right now which has been non stop since last night. Looking forward to the flood warnings on the news tonight.
But on the plus side I now have enough rain water for my tank for the next two months.

The winter solstice is the most important for me. From there on out it starts to get lighter in the evenings.
I'm seriously hoping we'll put the clocks back for the last time very soon...

No we wont be following those rules.

I thing Nigel Farage and co want to put the clocks back to 1956 instead. we’ll be much more sovereign and all that.

Blue passport on the way, will be the same colour as me ration book so all matching, dead cool like 😂

The winter solstice is the most important for me. From there on out it starts to get lighter in the evenings.
Yeah that's what I meant. I go into Hibernation mode in winter. It's just pure existence for me :( I get up early when it's dark, go to work, get home when it's dark, have my tea, watch some TV, go to bed and rinse and repeat for months. All the little jobs i was going to do at the weekend get put on hold because the weathers too sh@t. Horrible time of year.
No we wont be following those rules.
I don't mind the clocks changing if I'm honest. You supposedly get a couple of minutes extra daylight each day or 10 mins per week so changing the clocks just speeds up the process of getting a bit of daylight in the mornings by a month.

Last edited:
....and while I'm here and having a good whinge on this depressing horizontal rain day. Here's something that is going to be controversial as most of you probably have one. Wood burners, there I've said it. Being old enough to remember the coal fire days and black facades of houses coming from a mining town, wood burners really? Is that where we are now then. We've spent decades moving away from air pollution to the point where in the not so distant future fossil fuel cars are going to be a thing of the past and now is a good time to make wood burners cool!
On the very rare occasion that I actually do get up to a fresh, crisp, feel good wintery morning without rain there's yet again that dejavu 70's smell of people burning stuff. Why now when we've actually acknowledged how polluted our atmosphere is? I shudder to think what it was back then! Huge step in the wrong direction IMO.

Back