• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water hyacinth in discus tank and in compost bin

Also, light wise, you may need two levels. One above the emersed growth which can grow rather tall, and one lower over the tank to keep floaters happy. The emersed plants will otherwise cast quite the shadow and the floaters won't be happy. That's another issue I had. I gave up floaters, no matter how much I like them. Depending on how you set up your lights, this of course can be avoided.

The lights on the ceiling are in the center of the room directed towards where the tank will be, that way they can illuminate the whole height of the emersed plants (including the creepers on the trellis) and the surface of the water. The surface of the water (and the couple of submerged plants) then also will have 4 goosenecks clipped on the side of the tank that will be a couple of feet above the water. They're all running off the same timer that is in the electrical panel I had made for this tank.

Another floater you may consider, if you can get it ,is Trapa natans. I once killed it :lol: Problem was I had just set up the tank but my lights didn't arrive on time so it melted. I never found it for purchase again.

It does look nice, but I was hoping for something that would raise a bit further above water, like the water hyacinth.

It does look nice, but I was hoping for something that would raise a bit further above water, like the water hyacinth.

I killed water hyacinth last year too...but I definitely didn't have enough light for it. I only had a 90W over a 240 round pond(pointed close to the water surface) It died rather fast, plus my fish nipped it from below too...
I also killed a "Floating sensitive fern". It's another beautiful floater you can look up. It's stunning.

I am getting embarrassed here, lol. I killed frogbit and salvinia too :rolleyes: I think the most I kept floaters alive is 2-3 months....I keep telling myself to try duckweed....:p

The lights on the ceiling are in the center of the room directed towards where the tank will be, that way they can illuminate the whole height of the emersed plants (including the creepers on the trellis) and the surface of the water. The surface of the water (and the couple of submerged plants) then also will have 4 goosenecks clipped on the side of the tank that will be a couple of feet above the water. They're all running off the same timer that is in the electrical panel I had made for this tank.

It can work very well that way, as long as there are no monster plants because once they grow, they'll be no light going through. Plants grow if given the conditions....

That's my parlour palm below, you can see the distance to the ceiling isn't that big anymore..... It gets window light and it's own dedicated 30W floodlight that doesn't illuminate the tank at all because it doesn't go through the palm. A year ago it used to...The plant however is 5 years old so it takes time...
20180409_230829.jpg

Back