• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water changes - simpler way?

He is a bit isn't he 😂 But that's why we like him. I wonder if he'll swing by and see this...
I would love that to happen!

I do have one question for him as well! He was topping up his tank (almost) straight from tap into one of his aquariums which had fish. He was using 1 Oase de-chlorinastor which is only good for up to 0.5mg/l of chlorine. I was interested to ask if he had ever measured his chlorine levels and how he got comfortable that one dechlorintaor was enough.

In case it's useful, here's my method. I really didn't want to buy much of anything, least of all another pump. Not sure my kitchen tap will accommodate the python..
I have a piece of tubing with a quick release connector on both ends. On one end it's so I can connect to my cannister filter, on the other it's just because they have a shut-off valve on. It's long enough to get from the sink to the tank. I use this tube to siphon off the water from the tank to a bucket(s), or the garden. Then, once done, shut the valves at both ends so that it is ready primed for filling - that seems to be the main trick with getting a cannister filter to work smoothly. Hook one end up to the inlet side of the cannister filter and put the other end in a bucket in the sink under the tap. Fill the bucket and dose with Prime, then open both ends of the tube, turn on the filter and turn on the tap (vaguely the right temp) a bit so that the bucket doesn't drain. I also usually fit the outlet side of the filter to the inlet lily pipe, that way you don't disturb anything in the tank too much.
I'm also of the 'limited water changes once you get going' contingent, although I'm yet to look into the feasibility of minimal water changes whilst also running CO2 and high light, wondering if that will necessitate using ferts and hence require more water changes?

Back