• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project Water change heater project.

Great write up.

I syphon into a 25 litre bucket and pour down the downstairs poo in winter and into the garden/plants in summer. I fill a 25 litre bucket in the sink and blend tap water to approximate temp, add Aqusafe and the pour into tank.

I empty 200 litres and put back 200 litres every week. It's easier than going to the gym and cheaper!

You ought to invest in a little pump. A jbl750 connects fine to uk size hose pipe. So i used to syphon two 25 litre buckets worth out if the tank and pump out of window onto front lawn. Put a pen mark on tank when water is lowered to correct amount. Syphoning into buckets, especially yellow one, is a good idea as you see things you shouldn't have syphoned out..like fish.

I then filled two 25litre buckets on kitchen worktop, to minimize height difference with cold water and a kettle worth of hot water and dechlorinator. I used the jbl pump on hosepipe to pump into tank..no water carrying required. I used a remote controlled mains socket to turn the pump off in the kitchen, whilst standing at the tank when it was full.

Here I am just dumping cold tap water into the tank for 20+ years with no issues.

I just syphon with hose pipe into drain, then put on tap and fill with cold with a bit of added tepid water from the kettle

I dont think the heat exchanger would work you would need extremely hot water. Think the imersion heater is probably the most cheap and efficient and safe. You could always insulate the barrel and fill the day before making it cheaper and easier to warm it?

I did contemplate using an under sink water heater, to warm my water, as I have seen people do this type of thing before to simplify water changes.
https://www.dafi-water-heater.com/en
A 3.7K one could be connected to fused spur off a ring main and would provide warmed water directly to the tank.

However plenty of "gotchas" to think about:
- Would need a incoming pressure reducer as my water pressure varies up to 8 bar and these heaters are rated up to 6 bar.
- Would need an outgoing blending valve to limit the maximum output temperature. There are very few blending valves that work down to say 25'C and these are not cheap.
- Would need some form of control, water valve & associated control cable or wireless control to turn water off remotely when tank is full.
- Electrics and water need to be carefully thought about, RCD, isolators etc.

In the end cheaper and easier to make a water heater butt.

Back