• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Very low tech plants for a small tank

Vyncenze

Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice on a "very" low tech shrimp set-up.

I've bought on ebay a 40cm cube tank (60l) in which I plan to keep a couple of species of shrimp. It is lit by one of those BiOrb "intelligent" LED lights, which gives a lovely effect to the tank but is by no means bright. The substrate is plain inert black sand. There is no CO2 injection, and the water will be kept at around pH 6.6, low kH and gH, temp 22-23C.

Obviously the priority here is the shrimps, but I would like to put some plants in if I can identify suitable species. The previous owner has has some success with dwarf anubias and mosses which I will be keeping - the question is what else will grow in these conditions. I'm not expecting fast, lush growth, just plants that will survive and do ok long term.

I am happy to dose something simple (Profito weekly?) if that will make things easier?

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. The tank is stacked high with lava rock, so anything that will attach well to rock would be great. Is there a "dwarf" version of java fern?

I'll try and get a pic up shortly.

Thank you for any ideas!!

Joe

You can add some Trident or Needle Java fern alongside what you have. I wouldn't add others but I'd try different types of mosses.

Mike

Thanks for the very quick reply. I have not heard of trident java fern, I'll have a look. I take it there are no small crypts or similar that would cope with those conditions? Nothing really that I can plant in the substrate?

Here's a pic of the tank as it stands (excuse the quality).

6375778265_952644aa2c_z.jpg

Anubias Nanas on wood or a piece of rock maybe? In my experience they are much healthier with their roots exposed rather than burried in the substrate...

Thank you for the advice, all of those species look like good bets. I'm wondering about changing the LED lighting (I could sell the BiOrb light and get one of the clip ons from All Ponds Solutions or even a TMC micro 200 or mini 400 with a bit more cash). Not a lot of info around about nano LED lighting though, it's hard to know which to go for.

Not sure how good the current light is, but I doubt there's a major need to upgrade with the plants you'll be using.

Thanks all for the help. I'll stick with the light for now then, and I'll go for mosses, java fern, mini anubias. What about pelia, will that grow in those sort of conditions, or am I better sticking to java/christmas/flame moss etc?

Back