• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using CO2 in a brand new uncycled tank

Fish_tails

I’m a new to using CO2, and always gone “low tech”. I have just rescape a tank, think I took too long and the cycle has crashed. I am unsure if I should be using CO2 (first time installing the kit) at this time or wait till my tank balances out first.

My thought process for using it was that it will help grow plants and thus help the consumption of excess nutrients (I am aware this may be a simplistic or very naive thought process so go easy)

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS,
I have just rescape a tank, think I took too long and the cycle has crashed.
It should be fine, there <"isn't really a cycle">, particularly in planted tanks. Is there any livestock in the tank? And can we have a picture?

Assuming you don't have any livestock? Then you can add as much CO2 as you like and it will help the plants grow as long as you have <"all the other nutrients required for plant growth">.

What are you using as your fertiliser? And are you using RO or rain or tap water?

Personally I'm not a CO2 user, and <"I like a floating plant">, they <"aren't CO2 limited">, and you can use them as both a nutrient "sponge" and an indication of plant nutrient status.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS,

It should be fine, there <"isn't really a cycle">, particularly in planted tanks. Is there any livestock in the tank? And can we have a picture?

Assuming you don't have any livestock? Then you can add as much CO2 as you like and it will help the plants grow as long as you have <"all the other nutrients required for plant growth">.

What are you using as your fertiliser? And are you using RO or rain or tap water?

Personally I'm not a CO2 user, and <"I like a floating plant">, they <"aren't CO2 limited">, and you can use them as both a nutrient "sponge" and an indication of plant nutrient status.

cheers Darrel
I have some corys in there that were there from the previous scape (no where to put them), so if I add CO2 I’ll go slower for them and also cause it’s my first time.

No fertiliser - and normal tap water.

I have some floaters on there at the moment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
Hi all,
That doesn't look too bad.
I have some corys in there that were there from the previous scape (no where to put them), so if I add CO2 I’ll go slower for them and also cause it’s my first time.
They can gulp air, but you'll need some-one with more experience of CO2 to advise you.
and normal tap water.
Can you get a water report from your water company? The tap water will be hard and relatively nutrient rich. It is going to supply most of the essential plant nutrients, you may run into issue with limited iron (Fe) availability, iron deficiencies are <"much more common"> in hard, alkaline water <"Some handy facts about water">.
No fertiliser
You will <"need a fertiliser">.
I have some floaters on there at the moment
I can see Red-root floater (Phyllanthus fluitans), <"this maybe of interest">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
That doesn't look too bad.

They can gulp air, but you'll need some-one with more experience of CO2 to advise you.

Can you get a water report from your water company? The tap water will be hard and relatively nutrient rich. It is going to supply most of the essential plant nutrients, you may run into issue with limited iron (Fe) availability, iron deficiencies are <"much more common"> in hard, alkaline water <"Some handy facts about water">.

You will <"need a fertiliser">.

I can see Red-root floater (Phyllanthus fluitans), <"this maybe of interest">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you,
Will look into those points. I’m sure I can get water report fairly easily. Yeah hopefully someone can give more insight into the CO2 part - but thanks

It’s usual to add from the get go, and use the time to dial it in properly, making sure it’s stable, before adding critters so they don’t come to any harm.

Take a look at the tutorial section in particular…

It’s usual to add from the get go, and use the time to dial it in properly, making sure it’s stable, before adding critters so they don’t come to any harm.

Take a look at the tutorial section in particular…

Hi Tim, thank you for this info was super helpful. Had a specific question I didn’t seem to get answered by the links (or by googling as I got a lot of conflicting answers). I am getting some bubbles at the surface.

Is that normal? It is likely due to surface scum that is there as my tank matures? Should I move my filter outlet a little higher to have proper surface agitation, or will that be bad?

I know that was more than one question. Hope you can help
Cheers

Is that normal? It is likely due to surface scum that is there as my tank matures? Should I move my filter outlet a little higher to have proper surface agitation, or will that be bad?
Move your filter outlet to the surface to agitate the water surface. This will aid gas exchange age, getting O2 back into the water, as well as breaking up any film - it’s because of the film that you’re probably seeing tiny bubbles at the surface.

Move your filter outlet to the surface to agitate the water surface. This will aid gas exchange age, getting O2 back into the water, as well as breaking up any film - it’s because of the film that you’re probably seeing tiny bubbles at the surface.
Out of curiosity is there anything inherently bad about the bubbles - or will it just get better once the film sorts itself out. Is the agitation essential for greater level of success?

Out of curiosity is there anything inherently bad about the bubbles - or will it just get better once the film sorts itself out. Is the agitation essential for greater level of success?
If you’re injecting CO2, then the agitation is important to allow for gas exchange at the water surface. Nothing bad about the bubbles in my experience.

Last edited:

It implies that you don’t have enough surface agitation and that you might have an ammonia spike. Both of which are bad for the fish you’re caring for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back