• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

using an am1000 with a fluval fx5

The Abbott

I recently bought a Fluval Fx5, a right beast of a filter! I would like to use a Aqua Medic AM1000 inline reactor with it but the pipe fittings are way different - Fluval has 25mm pipe, Reactor has 16mm fittings. Has anyone used this setup? How can I make this work?

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Rich

Hi

I have an FX5 and considered exactly this. In the end I couldn't put up with the massive restriction/reduction in flow.
I opted for a small diffuser stuck to the glass 3 inches below the filter intake. I drilled lots of small holes in the bottom on the intake casing which helped maximise transfer of bubbles and with careful positioning I only see a few Tiny Co2 bubbles that miss the intake and don't get sucked into the filter.

The filter then seems to do a fantastic job of properly diffusing the gas and returns to the tank via a 4.5 foot spraybar I made from 32mm black PVC pipe. No misty water! I didn't want that look in my tank.

This really works a treat and Ive since read many reports of folk unhappy with the AM1000. It seems a filter has to be within a certain output to get the best of this device. Can't handle too much or too little power through it.
And I heard all about CO2 being acidic and affecting the seals on my filter, but I also heard a good number of folk saying they'd never had a problem.

I'm glad I chose this way, and the only difference I'd perhaps make would be to miss out the diffuser and just insert the co2 pipe into the intake or the intake pipe.

Good luck with it :)

Gavin

Flyfisherman said:
Rich

The only things I could find to help you with your slight issue - maybe two of these + some jubliee clips will help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25mm-16mm-SILICON ... 45f4be724e

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-BOLT-STAINLESS- ... 43a29c018a

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, I saw those hoses on Ebay too, dont think it will work tho, might crush the pipe when clamped.

Gfish said:
Hi

The filter then seems to do a fantastic job of properly diffusing the gas and returns to the tank via a 4.5 foot spraybar I made from 32mm black PVC pipe. No misty water! I didn't want that look in my tank.

Gavin

Gavin, you couldn't take a pic for me could you? I'm interested in how you have done this....

Cheers

Rich

Rich

Heres a pic showing the diffuser mounted below the FX5 intake. As said, I drilled about 20 small holes in the bottom of the intake.
e6ce171d.jpg

And here's my bubble counter that's inline before the gas enters the tank and diffuser. You can also see the output, one end of the spraybar.
bd8ffa69.jpg

Cheers

Gavin

Back