• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Updating lighting advice

2 would cover it but you are always going to get shaded areas with kessil, shadows is kinda their point if that makes sense. You also gotta like that shimmer.......!

Depending on where you are may be worth visiting Aquarium Gardens to look at the lights in real life.
I wish, however being in Somerset its a bit of a drive and quite a cost in fuel. Shame really as there are not many great places around here (that I have found)

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

@SRP3006

or with the arms shortened/amended so they stand on the bracing.

That could work as it could be inside the hood itself, just above the water, it also wouldn't effect me removing the hood.

I have a nd aquatics hood, I don't use the cover as it's a pita. But the hood needs to come off for water changes and substrate depth trimming etc, as the 2ft depth makes it hard work.
Im not great at DIY at all and I struggle to see how I would attach the light without it being a nightmare when I need to remove the hood.

I'm trying to persuade the boss that suspending from the ceiling would be very 'modern' but it's not working
emoji849.png
especially on the 'yo yo' wire cables I've seen on Jurijs Jutjajevs' you tube channel.

Also does the twinstar have the power to supply decent strength light to 2ft down, as most squaping tanks are shallower.

But I do like the look of the twinstar and the price tag is a lot better, also they are used by a lot of pro Aquascapers.

Most lights are going to struggle to grow a mini hair grass carpet at 2’ but the Twinstar gives you best bang for buck imo.

Check out GF AG shop tour, you’ll see lots of Twinstars, also a hooded tank with 1200 light on.

You can rest the light on the glass bracing or cut the arms and rest them on the glass.

Most lights are going to struggle to grow a mini hair grass carpet at 2’ but the Twinstar gives you best bang for buck imo.

TBH I don't want to grow a carpet at the moment, I just don't want my light choices to limit the plants I can grow. Especially red plants and certain stem plants.

Also the red spot beams coming from my leds really irritate me.

Thanks for the videos, very inspiring and some absolutely stunning scapes and plants. Something to aspire to for sure.

For carpet growth in taller tanks, cluster matrix LEDs (Kessil, AI etc) will deliver the required substrate intensity (as will good quality HOT5/ VHOT5 with decent reflectors ... though if you want dimmable, these require a significant budget as well)

Looking at Twinstar - even the S is mostly displayed on 45-50cm tall tanks

While you could buy a light now for future plans, in a few years there may be new exciting lights you’ll like much better ;)

I don’t know that the 360X is reasonable - I’m in Canada where US exchange and new government taxes (on aquarium gear) have pretty much decided me against the investment
I also feel that Kessil should’ve been more considered in their wifi “dongle” pricing after charging a premium on the promised wifi programmable X series - especially as initial marketing implied that wifi accessibility would be built into the light unit

I recently picked up the ONF Flat Nano + and love the colour rendition
(I find Twinstar S too red biased and greens are yellow hued, obviously this compromise doesn’t overly impact their sales :p and supposedly there’s a new generation S )

When lights such as Kessil are said to produce “shadows” (vs the linear array LEDs like Twinstar) this is not quite the same as “shaded areas” - carpet etc plants will grow as uniformly under Kessil type lights as Twinstar style
If you look at those light distribution curves (Sanjay Joshi materials & method follows “good” science protocols), similar light patterns are observed with all light sources, with curve shape reflecting light design

Sanjay Joshi did test and publish PAR data for Kessil and AI Primes (FW and Marine versions), at some point Kessil requested the data be removed for the same reasons that Giesemann gives (Kessil data had been up for a couple years at that point :confused:, I don’t know if the Giesemann light data was also removed)

This article was supported by Orphek - data was collected by Dr Sanjay Joshi, you may still be able to find the experimental data over at Advanced Aquarist, after the site shutdown for maintenance (rumoured hack but I’ve no idea) I couldn’t find many of the Light Analysis articles which he’s been doing for years following the developments of T5’s, HOT5, PC, MH, LED ... most of his work was done with Marine type lighting, and some FW versions when available

https://orphek.com/par-test-atlantik-wifi-reef-led-series-by-dr-sanjay/

The graphs give you an idea of lighting intensity and distribution

Hi @alto

Thanks for the Orphek link.

I wonder why neither Kessil nor Giesemann were happy about having their PAR data published? Something not right there.

JPC

Something not right there.
No, their reasons are valid ... I listened to the interview (Kessil), read Giesemann position
(I won’t paraphrase as it’s been awhile, but it’s logical/technical ... it’s just so darned convenient to be able to look at numbers ;))

No, their reasons are valid ... I listened to the interview (Kessil), read Giesemann position
(I won’t paraphrase as it’s been awhile, but it’s logical/technical ... it’s just so darned convenient to be able to look at numbers ;))

Hi @alto

If Sanjay Joshi (or anyone else) carried out an independent set of PAR measurements, why should the manufacturers object? It's no different from anyone else reviewing any other product. It happens all the time. Don't we all refer to reviews if we want to buy a new mobile phone or laptop, for example? I'm obviously missing something.

JPC

Kessil asked politely (and explained their position)
Dr Sanjay cooperated

(there may be a back story ... it may also be that, today, Kessil would take a different view)

Back