• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Up sizing my aquarium. Best method?

Anthony89

Ive just moved into a property, and had permission from the other half to have a bigger tank. 5ft 300 odd litres. My current 4ft setup has two filters running on it for a year. I plan on using a cat litter substrate. Could I do a large water change on the 4ft, take one filter, and some of the sand substrate to kickstart the new tank? Im doing the swap over during the course of a week. My worry was that nitrites and ammonia may rise in the new tank while its left with no inhabitants. What does everyone think? And is there a better method?

Cheers ant

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I suppose it all depends on if you have any critters you don't want in the sand or filter. If there isn't I'd be inclined to use some of the Water and transfer one filter at a time keeping one running on each tank. why cat litter is it down to budget and the amount you need? I've cut corners a couple of Times and it's cost me more in the long run and I've ended up doing what I wanted to start with. There's some good aquarium composts about and you could cap it with akadama or I've even seen pumice cheap which is lighter but not my thing.:) on a tank that size the amount you change on Tank day I can picture the light cat litter becoming a pain topping up etc. But I don't know you methods of how you do changes.

Thats true. Have pest snails that I would like to get rid of. Yes going give cat litter a go for the price, will be dosing the water column and using root tabs. Will the bacteria in the filter be ok running on its own with no livestock for a few days?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'll give you a honest answer and say I've never tested to see if the bacteria made it but there hasnt been any bad smells Or immediate deaths and I've done it 6 times in 18 mths. I've always thought as long as its gets air ( has not Been turn off for a long time) or in contact with chlorine untreated water it will be fine I have normally put a small amount of Fish in too but I think that's a bit dated now. Hold fire for a more scientific answer that's less simpleton first. You could always add assassins to sort the snails out just keep an eye out for planaria or hydra.:)

Clive did say somewhere in a post that we should not get hung up on which substrate and Cat Litter is fine. Just put 4 or 5 teaspoons Osmocote and a tiny amount of peat moss under it. It's ferts in the water column that's important.

When doing the water change on the 4 foot why not use the waste water from that tank in the new one and change over the one filter at the same time? just a thought.

I have light weigh cat litter in a 40 ltr Harry and it's ok :D very pinky though:D

Buy her a nice new home, they allow you a new tank:)
The method you suggest works well.

Do 2x a week(maybe 3 for the 1st 2 weeks) water changes for 1-2 months, and the new tanks will hit the ground running. Then you can back off after 4-6 weeks.

Back