• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UP Inline Diffuser query?

Bertie

Hi,
I installed a UP Inline Diffuser today (could be a fake). Now I assume that because it needs more pressure because of the way it works, that it will need an increased bubble rate is that correct?

The reason that I ask is that I am now using 6bps and at the moment the DC is still blue!

I changed over to a long diy spray bar along the back wall at a depth of about 2", with a New Wave 1.6 running at 800lph each at either end and a cheap 200lph submersible in the middle. There appears to be good flow but there is a good few bubbles reaching the surface.

It appears I may have to use a lot more bps for this inline method....does that sound right?

Just had a thought, as there were no instructions and this sounds like a stupid question.
Have I got it installed right?
I have the hose from the filter going into the narrower end and the hose coming out of the wider end with the co2 tube next to it going into the tank, is that correct?
If that is correct I do not know what is happening as I have the bubble counter so fast I cannot count the bubbles and still not much happening.

I have just realized that the co2 is/was not getting through to the spraybar!!?? I do not appear to have a leak so I have no idea what has been happening to the co2 ?

You need "higher pressure" to get UP inline diffusers working. I think mine is 2.5bar and I have no problem @ 1-2 bubbles per second getting through.

I have the hose from the filter going into the narrower end and the hose coming out of the wider end with the co2 tube next to it going into the tank, is that correct?

hey bertie, not to sure what you mean here.... to fit the atomiser you need to cut you filter tubing and attach the tubing on both ends of the atomiser, then the co2 tube from the regulator connects to the small nipple on the atomiser. You should see a fine mist leaving the spray bar when all is running.

There are a couple of versions of the atomiser but here is a video to show one of the newer style (some say inferior) working.

I have a co2 supermaket one and if the guage is accurate it is showing 40 psi which I thought would be enough.....of course the diffuser itself could be duff as I do not think it is UP! but would not know how to check that! And of course I cannot even purchase a proper UP one if my regulator is not right either.
Up a creek without a paddle! Looks like I will have to take the long spraybar from the back wall and go back to the side wall with a glass diffuser.

Hi Bertie, like you and ian_m i'm using the co2 supermarket reg with an up inline diffuser and it does work. I also thought my diffuser (ebay) could be a fake As ian_m says it doesn't seem to kick in until you get a good bubble count going. Mine is misting at 1 bubble per second, less than this doesn't have a noticible effect.

Hi Iain,
I have the older version....what I mean is that I have the two hoses connected ok but I have the co2 line going in the nipple and that nipple is at the top and I am wondering whether I should turn the whole diffuser upside down so the nipple is at the bottom where the hose from the filter goes into it? Sorry if it is difficult to understand.

Hi Bertie, like you and ian_m i'm using the co2 supermarket reg with an up inline diffuser and it does work. I also thought my diffuser (ebay) could be a fake As ian_m says it doesn't seem to kick in until you get a good bubble count going. Mine is misting at 1 bubble per second, less than this doesn't have a noticible effect.
Yes I had mine at well over 6 bps but wonder if there is a correct UP and a DOWN when you fit them....I am getting myself more confused here:(

I also have the older y shaped model. I have the water hose running horizontal with the co2 line above the outflow from the atomizer so the co2 is being pumped in against the water flow if you see what I mean.

co2---->
atomzier
water<--------------

Hi Bertie
Could you not remove the atomiser from the filter tubes, leave the co2 connected and place the atomiser in the tank or a bucket of water, you should see bubbles coming out of one of the filter tube connectors if its working correctly?

Hi Bertie
Could you not remove the atomiser from the filter tubes, leave the co2 connected and place the atomiser in the tank or a bucket of water, you should see bubbles coming out of one of the filter tube connectors if its working correctly?
Hi, Yes I will do that next...I will have to sort out some hose to connect the filter directly to the spray bar. But will give this 30mins to see if it starts or not. Thanks

Bertie, did you test before using ?

I connected just the gas to mine, as shown in picture above and dunked the whole lot in jug of water. After a while a fine mist of bubbles could be seen streaming from inside the device. Also enables you to check the CO2 connection is gas tight.

I also fitted jubilee clips (stainless from Ebay) as I was never 100% convinced the locking nuts were robust enough with my JBL pipe, which definitely has slightly thicker walls than "normal" 16/22 pipe. One day whilst fiddling the pipe did pop off and I started to syphon the tank onto the floor...all of course behind the tank out of easy reach :arghh:. Since fitting jubilee clips not been a problem.

I don't think the flow direction, in the above diagram matters, though I would keep the CO2 gas inlet in facing upwards as water can and does collect in the bottom of the device and you don't want that flowing back down the CO2 tubing.

I was thinking just to test the atomiser, no need to connect the filter up to the spray bar, if the atomiser is working connect it back up to the filter if its not.....

It has been running now for 20 minutes and no sign of any co2 coming out of the spray bar :( Now I am in a quandry as I do not want to buy another Inline diffuser if my Regulator is faulty for instance!:(

Hi all,
I will check the atomiser after my dinner;) but if it does not work I have then to decide whether the atomiser is faulty or my pressure gauge is!

Bertie if you have bubbles moving through your bubble counter but nothing out of the spray bar you either have a leak or haven't given the system enough time to build up pressure.

As an aside I'm not sure it makes any difference which way the diffuser is connected as from what I can see it is just a ceramic tube.

Hi foxfish, I have not found any leaks! I left the thing on for 4hrs?? I did just check it on its own and nothing! My regulator work pressure shows 50psi when not switched on and when the co2 is running it is showing 40psi. Now I do not know whether to risk buying a proper UP one or go back to the glass diffuser! Thanks for your help.

Back