• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Unusual cold tolerant Fishes for outdoors.

Hi Conort2,

I've always looked at White Cloud Minnows with interest, heard mixed reviews with outdoor year round keeping with them.
For your WCMM, did you use a filter/pump to give a flow or just no technology & use plants for natural filtration etc.

Thanks,
R
I’ve had them in no tech and they done extremely well. They had bred all through the summer and I had plenty by the winter. The golds were with a filter but were kept alongside the ranchus so didn’t have any fry survive.

You can try macropodus species. The reason why the medakas died is probably because they could not breathe due to the ice on the water surface.
I’ve had medaka do perfectly fine under thick ice, could still see them moving around under a couple of inches. Had some standard white cloud mountain minnows also do well. Tried gold white clouds but these seemed to struggle with the cold. Also currently have ranchus. I was told they can’t be kept outdoors but they’re doing fine. They managed last winter although I wouldn’t consider last years winter as a particularly cold one.

Cheers

Back