• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

University AI planning project for Aquarium

Aqua Hero

Hi guys, I have a university project where and making a plan for a Co2 controller system.

I wanted to ask you guys if you have an estimate or even a guess of how much one bubble of Co2 takes away from the intank psi of a Co2 cylinder.

Ignore the extra variables and factors. I just need a guess or a estimated value

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Typical student trying to get everyone else to do the work for you...:p
It'd be infinitesimal, incalculably minute...unless the bubbles where huge and therein lies your most confounding factor - not everyone's bubbles are the same size.
Pm CO2 Art...these guys are pretty hot on design and innovation, if anyone will be able to help they will.

I wanted to ask you guys if you have an estimate or even a guess of how much one bubble of Co2 takes away from the intank psi of a Co2 cylinder.
Brilliant, no one spotted this is a trick question.

The tank pressure does not alter at all when CO2 is taken from it, as the tank contains liquid CO2 pressurised to 800psi/55bar. The tank pressure statys constant as CO2 is drawn off and only drops when all the liquid CO2 has gone and gaseous CO2 remains.

How are you going to measure CO2 levels in the water ?

Haha...I think maybe Aqua Hero wants a baseline to gauge how fast a cylinder empties at a given bubble rate...No?

P.S. if that is the case maybe this will help http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-long-does-your-co2-cylinder-last-you.33193/

Yep that's exactly what I wanted. The coursework doesn't really require a 100% accurate measurement nor does that plan have to actually work in real life(if it had to it would be beyond my knowledge and capability).

Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Also another's question or scenario more like.

You see the goal for this plan is to minimise the number of times the co2 switches between each tank while keeping all the tanks at 30 ppm.

Let's say we had three tanks. 10 gallon, 20 and 30 gallons. Obviously a 10 gallon tank on its own (not taking into consideration lighting, fish, flow etc for now) would require less co2 (lower bubble rate if we were to say all bubble counters were equal) than a 20 gallon. Let's say it requires 2 times less co2.

But what if I were to put a quad t5 fixture on the 10 gallon but put a dual t5 fixture on the 20 gallon.

Focusing only one water volume and lighting and the fact that in this case all bubble counters have the same above bubbles (this means ignoring other factors like temperature, ph, flow etc)

Would it save to say that both tanks would require the same level of co2 (same bubble rate)?

Also could I also say that rate at which co2 escapes from the 20 gallon is slower than the rate it takes for the 10 gallon. As well as the fact that it takes less time for a 10 hello tank to reach optimal levels than it would take for a 20 gallon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant, no one spotted this is a trick question.

The tank pressure does not alter at all when CO2 is taken from it, as the tank contains liquid CO2 pressurised to 800psi/55bar. The tank pressure statys constant as CO2 is drawn off and only drops when all the liquid CO2 has gone and gaseous CO2 remains.

How are you going to measure CO2 levels in the water ?

Did not know that. Definitely keep that in mind though

I will just increment/decrement the ppm levels over time depending on which tank is being dosed co2 at a given time during the photoperiod

Again how are you measuring ppm levels ? This is very very hard, a numerous failed Kickstarter projects level of difficulty and not cheap.

I'm not actually gonna make this. I'm only making a plan (defining my domain and goal states) . I'm not doing a Kickstarter or anything like that.

How I'm gonna measure the co2 levels isn't that important. What's important is trying to figure out what variables will effect the co2 and how to balance things out

Well things like.

- Dissolving method, pollen diffuser, inline diffuser or reactor etc.
- KH of water.
- Temperature of water.
- Atmospheric pressure.
- Amount of surface ripple. Angling the spray bar is a fine line between yellow drop checker and blue drop checker.
- Quantity of plants.
- Available light (PAR) so plants can use the CO2.
- Amount of fertilisation so plants can use the CO2.

There are probably more...which is why getting CO2 levels is an art rather than a science.

Well things like.

- Dissolving method, pollen diffuser, inline diffuser or reactor etc.
- KH of water.
- Temperature of water.
- Atmospheric pressure.
- Amount of surface ripple. Angling the spray bar is a fine line between yellow drop checker and blue drop checker.
- Quantity of plants.
- Available light (PAR) so plants can use the CO2.
- Amount of fertilisation so plants can use the CO2.

There are probably more...which is why getting CO2 levels is an art rather than a science.

You do know this is a very small and broad coursework. I can't measure everything because I have define them in a language called PDDL. Which I simply can't do because it's not possible.

This isn't supposed to actually work in real life, it's only a very broad and general approach to it.

I know about all these variable that you would consider in real life but I can't define them in the language because i haven't been taught far in the language.

So for this system I'm dumbing it down to only light and tank size being the effecting variables.

This why I said at the beginning 'ignore other factors that will effect co2 levels'

The larger the surface area of the water surface, the quicker the CO2 will escape. Assuming all other variables are identical, CO2 would off-gas quicker in a 10 gallon tank that is short and fat than in a tank of the same volume that is tall and thin.

The larger the surface area of the water surface, the quicker the CO2 will escape. Assuming all other variables are identical, CO2 would off-gas quicker in a 10 gallon tank that is short and fat than in a tank of the same volume that is tall and thin.
Oh really, thank you.

This was part I really needed to get correct

Back