• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UK Purigen Users Only

as I clean my canister filter monthly, I decided to regenerate purigen monthly as well and find thats the most effective way to get them 'white' - i.e. regenerated them when purigen is at most 'very light brown'. I use 5% bleach undiluted.

Previously, I only regenerated them after they turned brown (eg: after a few months) but once they turned brown, I found that they never turned white again in 5% bleach.

Not so sure Purigen can be regenerated as often as claimed otherwise it would keep its colour creamy white? I suspect for Aquascaping contests they just replace with new bags for photographs /final pictures. Same with Polyfilters quickly get embedded with what they remove Not to say they dont do a good job

Not so sure Purigen can be regenerated as often as claimed otherwise it would keep its colour creamy white?
Right. It might have something to do with how dirty you let it get before cleaning/regenerating it. I've read about people reusing it 10 times before tossing it. No way that would ever work for me - I get 2-3 times out of mine, but I might be leaving it in the filters for too long.

Right. It might have something to do with how dirty you let it get before cleaning/regenerating it. I've read about people reusing it 10 times before tossing it. No way that would ever work for me - I get 2-3 times out of mine, but I might be leaving it in the filters for too long.

Wow, I’d be gutted if I had to throw them away after 2-3 recharges, they’re far too expensive for that. I’ve had more than 10 recharges out of a couple of my older ones - in fact I’ve never thrown one away yet, and they’d come out of the filter dark brown and covered in sludge sometimes.

I’ve not used Purigen for about a year though, since I started adding botanicals to the tanks.

Wow, I’d be gutted if I had to throw them away after 2-3 recharges, they’re far too expensive for that. I’ve had more than 10 recharges out of a couple of my older ones - in fact I’ve never thrown one away yet, and they’d come out of the filter dark brown and covered in sludge sometimes.
Yeah, good point. I might have been a bit too picky in the past when I was pursuing uber clear neutral water.

I’ve not used Purigen for about a year though, since I started adding botanicals to the tanks.
Yep, I yanked the Purigen out of the tank where I keep shrimps as well after starting with dried almond leaves.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back