• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Twinstar 120G v Plant 3.0 59W

Lincs Planter

Afternoon all, just having a last look over the equipment that is going to be fitted to my Seabray Elite 48" X 18" x 24". Filtration is going to be an Oase Biomaster 850 with a 2.5l CO2 reactor plumbed into the return, flow will be provided using either a gyre or AI Nero in tank.

The only doubt I have is the lighting so far I was going to use a Fluval Plant 3.0 but have my doubts as to how effective this will be over a Twinstar G Series or two instead as two Plant 3.0 will cost the same as three Twinstar roughly, does anyone have experience with the G series and can they be remotely controlled using the wi-fi add on? The light has to go inside a hood and above glass slider.

Open to suggestions on other lighting that would be suitable but I like my organs where they are.

Trying to find PAR readings for the G series and thinking that I'd start with two and then go from there. Would I get away with one to start with?

Last edited:
Afternoon all, just having a last look over the equipment that is going to be fitted to my Seabray Elite 48" X 18" x 24". Filtration is going to be an Oase Biomaster 850 with a 2.5l CO2 reactor plumbed into the return, flow will be provided using either a gyre or AI Nero in tank.

The only doubt I have is the lighting so far I was going to use a Fluval Plant 3.0 but have my doubts as to how effective this will be over a Twinstar G Series or two instead as two Plant 3.0 will cost the same as three Twinstar roughly, does anyone have experience with the G series and can they be remotely controlled using the wi-fi add on? The light has to go inside a hood and above glass slider.

Open to suggestions on other lighting that would be suitable but I like my organs where they are.
Twinstar g is 42 watts. Seems to be composed of rgb and white/orange leds.
Simple in line controller does basic functions but its 1 channel.
Soo set it to 6 , 8, or 10 hr cycle. Set max intensity and go.. Really no need for wifi.

In all likelihood one could add a wifi type add on BUT that's a diy thing.
Like adding a tc-421... Power supply needs to be between 9-24V DC out.
Looks to be 24v and the dim /program module is just a plug in not hardwired.
Need more info on the configuration of power supply and that in line unit that's attached.
120 is 170 euros 126 watts for 3 and $510 euros
vs 245 euros but 59 watts. 118 watts for $490 euros
Your tank is approx 90 gal.

With co2 I'd suggest not going under 100watts of leds.
Look back historically how much power in t5's would one have put on such a tank?
2 tubes? (108w) ect.

What kind of room do you have in the hood and how is the ventilation?

Depending how much height you got in there 2 lights of this type is probably best.

Last edited:
Hi Lincs Planter - I have 2 Twinstar G-Line 100s in my newly set up tank that are under a hood.

I’m very new to aquascaping but I’m pleased with them.

The only thing is I believe the timer function operates from when they are turned on rather than from a 24hr clock so if you had a power cut your CO2 and lighting could be out of synch. I therefore don’t use the timer function and use fairly cheap WiFi smart plugs to turn them on or off.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 27
Well after a visit to AG now going with a Twinstar 1200SA as the hood is only semi closed with zero humidity so happy days.

Back