• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica soil.

SRP3006

Evening,
In the process of rescaping and I'm not finding much time other than small pockets of time here and there so doing it bit by bit. Does it harm tropical soil if it dries out? Or do I need to add a little water and cling film the tank?
So far I've got rocks, wood and soil in the tank. Hoping to flood tomorrow.
Cheers

Evening,
In the process of rescaping and I'm not finding much time other than small pockets of time here and there so doing it bit by bit. Does it harm tropical soil if it dries out? Or do I need to add a little water and cling film the tank?
So far I've got rocks, wood and soil in the tank. Hoping to flood tomorrow.
Cheers
Try and keep it bagged up and moist, if it does dry out it becomes dusty and annoying; plus can't confirm but I think it's supposed to be kept slightly moist for nutrient retention? Though that might be rubbish, I'm sure someone can clarify

Edit: you may also find if it's bone dry, it breaks up quicker

Last edited:
Cheers. Problem is its in the scape so I could place wood and glue etc. Just curious as it's pretty dry in the bag.

Never had Tropica soil anything other than bone dry out of the bag - though I have only used the Soil Powder version.

Never had Tropica soil anything other than bone dry out of the bag - though I have only used the Soil Powder version.
I've found that (at least in my experience) the powder version is pretty much bone dry but the regular one is moist. Dry enough to pour and move without sticking to anything but definitely discernible moisture.

I've found that (at least in my experience) the powder version is pretty much bone dry but the regular one is moist. Dry enough to pour and move without sticking to anything but definitely discernible moisture.

Interesting! When I did my recent shrimp tanks with the Dennerle Shrimp King active soil, that was damp too and had specific instructions to not let it dry out. (Great soil incidentally, not a sniff of ammonia!) - it must have something to do with the grain size?

Interesting! When I did my recent shrimp tanks with the Dennerle Shrimp King active soil, that was damp too and had specific instructions to not let it dry out. (Great soil incidentally, not a sniff of ammonia!) - it must have something to do with the grain size?
Yeah I was thinking the same. It's possible that they're both as moist as each other but the larger grain size makes the moisture more 'apparent' to the touch.

I have have had the soil going dry during the process of hardscaping (a couple of months) many times, never been an issue. It will soak with water like a sponge once sprayed with water during planting.

Cheers

Back