• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica Aquacube, the forgotten crystal gem from Tropica

CooKieS

Hi there, long time no see!
I found this beauty for sale in a local secondhand French website, couldn’t resist as I never saw another one before here in France…to be continued…

Specs:
Halogen bulb 20w
Crystal made
20x20x20cm, approx 8 liters

EA6BDC3E-FF52-4457-B3BD-1C81E4E89981.jpeg

Never even knew these tanks existed I doubt we ever got them in the US. As a whiskey guy I would love to have this on my bar. Looking forward to what you do with this tank as I’ve loved all your previous tanks you’ve done.

As a whiskey guy I would love to have this on my bar.
Right... :) I would probably go with a bottle of Blanton's Gold Edition bourbon though.... Engraved... Not sure if the metal horse on top or "gold" engraving will leach into the water column though... Probably have to keep the pH close to neutral ;)

1704497265870.png

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Watching the latest George Farmer YouTube video that landed an hour ago… and he is talking about and working in this rare tank if you are interested in watching.
Video is named “Relaxing 6 month low tech nano tank update and anubias mini coin tutorial”

Step 3: hardscaping. The aquacube is 20 years already! let’s celebrate it with a scape.

65DC4AEC-24CA-4EE1-A00F-6EBDEEF59004.jpeg

Approx 30min session; the idea is to keep it simple in order to use slow growing plants that will love the low light and the non co2 environnement. :)

Thanks guys!

Here’s day 1:

56991DE9-3005-44DE-8ECC-E0B156BB345E.jpeg

Plant list:
-bucephalandra (multiple small species)
-bolbitis cuspidata mini
-crepidomanes vietnam
-eriocaulon feather duster
-Phyllanthus fluitans
To come: crypto parva

Original 20w halogen bulb, 8 hours per day

Small internal filter to keep things clean

Cheers!

This system is now running since 1 month and I’m amazed by the good growth , at first I wanted to replace the original halogen bulb with some led but it’s definitely not necessary with these plants.

I added some crypto parva to the right shady part and that’s it.

Doing one 40-50% waterchange per week and that’s all, absolutely no algae.

I introduced 5 blue neocaridina 2 weeks ago, they seems to love it.

Here it is today:

62E9F5A9-2DEB-48D6-857F-04C2FA866584.jpeg

Cheers
Thierry

E93A956C-B03F-4D3C-8C46-9129F260258F.jpeg

I’m really impressed in the overall performance of this set, the old 20w Halogen bulb is doing wonders and not a single hint of algae. Neocaridina has started to breed too so everything is fine I guess, I changed the tank location as it was annoying the misses in the kitchen, took me 5min to move, joy! 😄

Are they mini boxing gloves? Super cute if so. Edit: Ahh it’s a Kaonashi! from spirited away. Even more cute!

Last edited:
I got it directly from China on aliexpress, no need to give money to Bezos. ;)

Back