• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trigon 190 - Planted!

Occean

Seedling
Thanks to the guys that answered my recent questions while prepping my tank. Well I plated it yesterday after a very helpful trip to Living Waters in Croydon, the guys there totally helpful, amazing service.

Brief info on setup: Trigon 190, Ehiem 2215, 2x 1600 Koralia, ADA Amazonia II, Co2 (to be upgraded) and TMC ferts.

As you can see no backdrop or fish yet! But well pleased. Plant list to follow

DSC_3273.jpg

DSC_3276.jpg

DSC_3278.jpg

Looks great Occean.
Why not start a journal up to document your journey for both yourself and others :)
Cheerio,
Ady

Nanojames, not sure....I am going to go though the plants chosen with living waters, then will post.

As for livestock, dwarf puffers, ottos, dwarf rasboras and shrimp from my old tank and then another shoal of something small (to keep it dwarf puffer friendly)

Well it has been a year and the tank has certainly established itself - and this is after an extensive trim!
BtKaWla.jpg

It has been a harsh learning curve too, with some deaths along the way :( – I have learnt 2 key things:
1. Do not add trace elements directly after a water change, they react with the water conditioner I believe – I lost my pygmy puffers and a shoal of rummy nosed tetra’s
2. I used seacham flourish in the hope it would remove some black beard algae (not even that much!) and my entire shrimp stock was wiped out, twice….I have now learnt! If I need to remove black beard I do it outside of the tank – though I have now invested in 2 Siamese algae eaters.

So now I am stocking 3 South American Puffers, 1 bristle nose pleco, 2 Siamese algae eaters and some zebra danios – all its all going really well. I will get a few more pictures up.

1. Do not add trace elements directly after a water change, they react with the water conditioner I believe
Not true. The trace iron can react with macro fertilisers and form insoluble iron phosphate which is then no longer available for the plants to use, which is why you dose trace and macro on alternate days. A lot of people dose ferts on water change day, no issue. On saying that I ran for months dosing trace and macro ferts at same time (from a pump) with not plant issues (or fish issues).
I lost my pygmy puffers and a shoal of rummy nosed tetra’s
Sounds like you more likely forgot to add conditioner/dechlorinator at water change. Often the chlorine/chloramine doesn't actually kill the fish, it kills the filter bacteria that then leads to an ammonia spike which is what can kill the fish.

Interesting. So this has happened to me on 3 occasions, after a water change the water went slightly cloudy (milky) only one occasion I had fish loss - all three times were after the use of water conditioner and trace elements - maybe coincidence but I have never done it again and haven't had cloudy water again. But I shall not be testing my theory - but will definitely report back if it happens again!

Back