• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Trident' fern - Normal transition?

PAYN3Y

Hi everyone,

I'm new to aquariums and planted tanks and wondered if this trident fern looks normal or has an issue.

The tank has been planted for 3 weeks and the fern does appear to growing but it's looked like this for the last 2 weeks. I'm running CO2 injection which I've recently increased to get the drop checker a bright lime green, my Twinstar E is on for 6 hours a day and I'm dosing 10ml of Aquascaper Complete Liquid fert. I'm also doing 50% water changes every other day.

Is this a fern going through a normal transition to submerged growth? Is it dying or covered in algae?

Thanks in advance.

XKk6CAq.jpg

Some of the leaves are dying and getting algae growth, I would remove the leafs that dont look good, I had the same thing happen before but just trimmed of any crappy looking leaf. With co2 when the ferns adapt it grows pretty fast. I had a heap do this when I first started growing java ferns but it all bounced back, I have to much now.

Some of the leaves are dying and getting algae growth, I would remove the leafs that dont look good, I had the same thing happen before but just trimmed of any crappy looking leaf. With co2 when the ferns adapt it grows pretty fast. I had a heap do this when I first started growing java ferns but it all bounced back, I have to much now.

Thanks. To me it seems that most of the leaves have the same problem. I have another one on the left of the tank which was planted at the same time but that one doesn't appear to have the same issue.

I'll give it a little trim.

My trident can go that way after months of growing fine then melts! Or does if I don't correct the reduction in flow due to growth there and elsewwhere. Trim the bad leaves off the rizome will grow new ones. Trimming will improved the flow locally which should help the other leaves in there transition

you can be pretty aggressive with trimming leaves off the java fern, remove them as close to the rhizome as possible, even take all leafs of and it will regrow from the rhizome, tho generally I try to leave a few leafs, I have removed all leaves from some rhizome and I think leafs grew back fine.

you can be pretty aggressive with trimming leaves off the java fern, remove them as close to the rhizome as possible, even take all leafs of and it will regrow from the rhizome, tho generally I try to leave a few leafs, I have removed all leaves from some rhizome and I think leafs grew back fine.

I found out that a leafless rhizomes tend to do good in rather dark tanks. So if I remove all the leaves from a rhizome or cut part of a rhizome without leaves I leave it in a darkest place in the tank I can find. I don't really understand it, but they always grow new leaves faster this way. When they have some leaves more light means more growth as it should be.

Back