• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Transferring plants from an Ich tank?

Woodpecker

Seedling
Hi,

I am planning my new tank and would like to ask how to sterilize plants being moved from my other tank that had a recent ich outbreak (thanks to some new cardinals).

I treated with eSha and then with Waterlife ich remedy. I intend to keep shrimps in the new tank so would it be safe to transfer the plants after sterilizing or do you think I should cut my losses and start from new?

Any ideas would be gratefully accepted. Thank you.

Sue

It depends on how many plants you want to keep. If it's only a few I'd go with getting fresh, but if that's going to be expensive than you can try sterilizing them with a weak bleach solution. Remember though that the whitespot parasite needs a fish host to survive, so if you move the plants and then keep the tank empty of fishy life for a couple of months they'll be clean. Similarly, if you're whitespot free in the tank at the moment then give it a couple of months after treatment and you could move them with confidence.

Hope that helps.

Good point! Thank you.

I have now decided to go with all new plants - well it won't be that many in a 30 litre nano, but there were some lovely ferns in the old tank.

Back